• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some advice needed on new planted setup - Trying to make use of existing equipment.

maj74

Am about to set up a new high tech planted tank, trying to re-use as much existing equip as I still have stored from a previous large (350litre) Discus tank I used to run.

However, have some questions about whether some of this equipment will work, given the size of the new venture.

Tank: 80 x 40 x 45 cm - approx 140 litres - drilled overflow in the back to allow for seamless water changes.

Filtration:
  • Hoping to use an Eheim Pro 3 thermofilter I have stored - no heater in the tank - Is this too much filter for the size of tank?
  • Will be purchasing Aquascaper glass lily pipe and surface skimmer intake - Is the 16mm version too big for this size tank? - see below
  • The Eheim has 16/22 size hose outlets - Do I use this size hose throughout, or step down to 12/16 and use the smaller (and cheaper lily pipes)?
CO2:
  • Will use a JBL in-line CO2 diffuser - See above question as I will need to get either the 16mm or 12mm version
Lighting:

• Already have an Aquaray 8 channel dimmer (older version with storm function) and an Aquaray LED 400 tile from my existing smaller tank.
  • Have purchased a second LED 400 tile that I will mount in a custom made Oak hood with my existing one. - Are these 2 x LED 400 tiles enough for the 80 x 40 x 45cm / 140 litre tank, or should I get a third to give me more lighting capacity?

Any help with any of these questions would be enormously appreciated, so I can get the last few pieces ordered.

Many thank in advance.

Am about to set up a new high tech planted tank, trying to re-use as much existing equip as I still have stored from a previous large (350litre) Discus tank I used to run.

However, have some questions about whether some of this equipment will work, given the size of the new venture.

Tank: 80 x 40 x 45 cm - approx 140 litres - drilled overflow in the back to allow for seamless water changes.

Filtration:
  • Hoping to use an Eheim Pro 3 thermofilter I have stored - no heater in the tank - Is this too much filter for the size of tank?
  • Will be purchasing Aquascaper glass lily pipe and surface skimmer intake - Is the 16mm version too big for this size tank? - see below
  • The Eheim has 16/22 size hose outlets - Do I use this size hose throughout, or step down to 12/16 and use the smaller (and cheaper lily pipes)?
CO2:
  • Will use a JBL in-line CO2 diffuser - See above question as I will need to get either the 16mm or 12mm version
Lighting:

• Already have an Aquaray 8 channel dimmer (older version with storm function) and an Aquaray LED 400 tile from my existing smaller tank.
  • Have purchased a second LED 400 tile that I will mount in a custom made Oak hood with my existing one. - Are these 2 x LED 400 tiles enough for the 80 x 40 x 45cm / 140 litre tank, or should I get a third to give me more lighting capacity?

Any help with any of these questions would be enormously appreciated, so I can get the last few pieces ordered.

Many thank in advance.

I’d keep and reuse all the stuff you mentioned! Why spend money on items that you already have in place? Also imo there can’t be too much filtration ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d keep and reuse all the stuff you mentioned! Why spend money on items that you already have in place? Also imo there can’t be too much filtration ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. I was thinking the filter would be ok, with lily pipes to distribute the flow. It's well over 10x volume per hour!

But I do wonder if the 16/22mm lily pipes will be simply too big and obvious in the 80 x 45 x 40cm tank, and whether using a reducer to 12/16mm would be better. Although, presumably, reducing the diameter pipework will increase the exit speed of the water from the lily pipe will it not?

Any thoughts on the lighting? 2 or 3 Aquaray mini tiles?

Back