• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soil or Powder

Twisted Melon

Hi,

I see ADA and Tropica both come in soil and powder. I can see that the powder is slightly smaller grains.

Is there any benefit to one over the other in real world use?

What are most people using?

Ta.

Most just use soil. I only use powder when I'm trying to create a sense of scale in a small tank or nano. Smaller grains are just one device I use help to give the impression the tank is larger than it actually is. It's also sometimes easier to plant carpet plants in a finer substrate.

I've replanted tanks with larger grained Aquarium Soils, given delicate plants with fine or minimal roots (also tissue culture plants), I'd choose Powder every time - it's just easier when the soil fills back in closely & uniformly around the tweezered in plantlet, and less floaters need replanting next day

I also much prefer the look of the finer texture

Often the Powder Soil version is more expensive, so on larger tanks it's common to use Powder only as the upper layer, of course if you change aquascapes or move plants about, mixing will occur
My "big" tank is only 90cm x 45 cm, so I just use Tropica Powder for ease & preferred uniform appearance ...
and I like to move stuff about :oops:

Back