• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soil and sand

Majsa

I am planning to tear down my old shrimp tank and set up a 50cm/45L tank for pygmy cories. I want to use sand, but also plant the background with the crypts from the shrimp tank. I was thinking of growth substrate under the sand but have some Tropica Soil Powder left from a previous setup, would it make sense to add that under plastic canvas or in bags and then sand on top? I want the tank to be as easy as possible, so not thinking of separate substrate areas. Or is say 2 cm of sand just as good for crypts? They now grow on rather thick layer of gravel with water column dosing.

Hi all,
I am planning to tear down my old shrimp tank and set up a 50cm/45L tank for pygmy cories. I want to use sand, but also plant the background with the crypts from the shrimp tank. I was thinking of growth substrate under the sand but have some Tropica Soil Powder left from a previous setup, would it make sense to add that under plastic canvas or in bags and then sand on top? I want the tank to be as easy as possible, so not thinking of separate substrate areas. Or is say 2 cm of sand just as good for crypts? They now grow on rather thick layer of gravel with water column dosing.
You can grow Cryptocoryne spp. In two inches of sand.

Corydoras pygmaeus doesn’t dig so you can probably just cap the powder.

Cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel!

You can grow Cryptocoryne spp. In two inches of sand.

Corydoras pygmaeus doesn’t dig so you can probably just cap the powder.

Good to know I need the depth. I didn't know pygmies don't dig, haven't had any corydoras species before. Does that mean the sand does not need to be particularly fine, as long as it's not too sharp? I was thinking of Dupla river sand which is 04,-06 mm, or 05,-1,4 mm, depending on where you read it...The Tropica Soil Powder has a grain size of 1-2 mm, so I guess they'd mix eventually? Choices...I could also do something with the old gravel, only it's rather sharp.

Back