• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sodium thiosulfate

GraemeVW

I have been using this as dechlorinator but ive not really been that accurate. Not had any problems, but thought maybe I should work out the dosage better.

Does anyone know how?

I found this link...

It suggests 4oz (100g) dissolved in almost 2 litres of water (I'd use deionised) would give me a solution that treats 1 us gallon with 1 drop of water.

The link suggests there are 100 drops in a teaspoon and a teaspoon treats 100 gallons.

I tend to treat 25 litres at a time, which I think works out to 7.5 drops.

Previously I'd just tipped a bit in, but I've been overdosing. Not caused me any problems though.

7.5 drops seems a tiny amount to add to 25 litres. I'm sure I read somewhere to double the dose if there is chloramine.

Anyone else use sodium thiosulfate?

Last edited:
Dosages are going to be very small. I haven't used it myself but found this.

Thanks, your link says 0.1 to 0.2g per 10 litre.

When my migraine has subsided I'll do the maths and see how that works out to what I posted.

I have used sodium thiosulfate for a long time for chlorine removal. I dilute 18g of Na2S2O3*5H2O (usually all available dry salts of this compound are pentahydrates) in 1l of water. 10ml of such a solution removes 1ppm of free chlorine in 100l of new water. I would also add that the shelf life of the solution is not endless (unlike dry salt) due to sulphurus bacteria decomposition, so it is a good idea to prepare solution for around a month or two and then replace it with a fresh one.

There is also some in-depth chemistry information in the Dave's article.

I just started using this after Prime ran out. I found this online. Screenshot of my particular mix for 100L W/C. I used the Prime 500ML bottle and dosing cap and added enough ST to match what I needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 09-41-26 Koiphen.com - Koiphen's Koi Calculators.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 09-41-26 Koiphen.com - Koiphen's Koi Calculators.png
    48 KB · Views: 184
So 17.5g in 500ml gives a solution where 5ml treats 100l?

Am i reading that right?

Thanks, very helpful. I ha e a few examples of dosing so I can work out if they all say about the same thing. Then I'll be a bit more confident in how little it needs!

I've been overdosing it hugely. I've read many reports saying overdosing is no problem at all, but also one or two that say you actually can over do it.

Hi all,
Is this for removing chloramine.
It will remove some chloramine at higher doses of sodium thiosulphate penthydrate (Na2S2O3.5H2O). It actually liberates the ammonia during chlorine removal, so you are reliant on having enough oxygen, plants and / or microbial nitrification <"to remove the TAN">.

Water conditioners that "remove" chloramine work in a slightly strange manner. Seachem won't tell what "Safe / Prime" contain, but the <"Aquarium Science"> link (which is really useful), says that "Prime" is sodium dithionite (Na2S2O4) and is no different in mode of action than sodium thiosulphate. I don't know how he found this out, but I'd guess he is probably right.

He talks about sulphinate dechlorinators (where I thought "Prime" resided), and we do know their mode of action, because <"Amquel" has a patent">. There has been some debate about their actual action, and again <"the author suggests"> a certain amount of <"smoke and mirrors"> are deployed.
I didn’t think it was used much in the UK, mainly the US?
Yes and no, more water companies are using it in the UK. the two circumstances it is used in are:
It is the latter case that has <"caused most of the problems">.

Part of the <"BREXIT bonus"> may be a relaxation of the water quality rules that we inherited from the EU. We are already seeing this with water companies being licensed to <"discharge untreated sewage"> into our rivers, and I'd <"probably predict"> that <"tap water quality"> will go the same way and we will end up <"like the USA"> with up to 5 ppm Cl2 in our tap water.

cheers Darrel

So 17.5g in 500ml gives a solution where 5ml treats 100l?

Am i reading that right?

Thanks, very helpful. I ha e a few examples of dosing so I can work out if they all say about the same thing. Then I'll be a bit more confident in how little it needs!

I've been overdosing it hugely. I've read many reports saying overdosing is no problem at all, but also one or two that say you actually can over do it.
Yes. Nees very little. That's what I'm using without incident although I do prepare change water the day before. I cribbed it off a Koi keepers forum.

Ive been tryi to work out the maths from the 4 doses in this thread.
To treat 100l of water we seem to have suggestions of 0.17g, 0.18g, 0.66g and 1g of sodium thiosulfate.

That's quite a spread.

I think this is what puts people off using it, and why I ended up just mixing a solution of not very specific strength and just tipping some in!

I'd quite like to get to a point where it feels like less of a guess, but still with a healthy margin of overdoing it.

Maybe I'll just stick to 1g per 100l.
I've seen reference to using 5x the dose to be sure, and 1g/100L if basically 5 times the lowest suggested dose.

I contacted United Utilities about this and they assure me they dose only chlorine.
I looked at the latest water quality report for my supply area and the only mention is Chlorine.

When I used to use tap water I just drew off enough for a water change and ran an air stone in it for a while.

I decided to use 1g per 100L.
So 25g, dissolved in 500ml of distilled water. 5ml of which treats a 25l drum.

It's more than some fish based folk say, but at the low end of what the suppliers say.

I looked at the latest water quality report for my supply area and the only mention is Chlorine.

When I used to use tap water I just drew off enough for a water change and ran an air stone in it for a while.
I spoke with a lady at UU who assured me they don't use chloramine so I could probably let it gas off over night as I mineralise, heat and turnover via powerhead as I do now. I could get away with not using it but it's such a small dose, 5ml per 100L I may as well.

What about using activated carbon for dechlorination? Is it feasible in our conditions?

What about using activated carbon for dechlorination? Is it feasible in our conditions?
Hi @_Maq_

As activated carbon (AC) normally relies on adsorption, I would have thought that it wouldn't be very effective on ionic compounds. Unfortunately, my organic chemistry is somewhat 'frayed at the edges' these days. But, if we don't have anyone on UKAPS that can answer this question, it's one for David Bogert at Aquarium Science – The Science of Aquariums.

JPC

Meaning in the regular tank filter? Then I'd say not, it would take time to remove the chlorine and exposing livestock to chlorine for any length of time isn't advisable.
I believe people use actived carbon filters to filter the water prior to putting it in the tank and that effectively removes any chlorine but to the best of my knowledge it doesn't remove chloramine.

Back