• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snails

Daz2162

Hi guys, ive a 54ltr, heavily planted tank, and was wondering what's the best type of snail to get as part of my growing clean up team. Ive got a few cherry shrimp 1 siamese algae eater and 1 amano shrimp.

Name me a few and I'll look them up.

Cheers guys

Darren

Red rams are good cleanup crew, but personally I avoid them like the plague because they breed so quickly!

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are good for turning the substrate over, plant safe, and slow breeding. Got a whole load in my Trigon.

Siamese Aglae Eaters are not suitable for your sized tank even if its just the one. They will eventually out grow your tank. As suggested ramhorn snails and nerite snails are probably the way to go. If you don't wan't constant breeding and the risk of over population go for the nerite. Mind you if you get a female nerite expect it to lay eggs which are pretty hard to scrape off as I've heard. Do remember to feed nerites after they clean your tank of algae.

Only just read your stocking list Darren,as Michael says the Siamese Algae Eater is going to outgrow your tank and the clown plec (although a dwarf species compared to other plecs) is too big for your tank too :( and some of the others would be much happier in larger groups.
Just a suggestion but check out AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor it's not infallible but can give some useful pointers on stocking and compatibility.

I'd get some more amanos, they are the doggies dodahs at cleaning up. Plus they are fun to watch. Or what about tiger shrimp, if you want something a bit different? I got ramshorns and they bred fast!

Back