• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snail Identification

Harry Muscle

I've been trying to find some Thiara/melanoides granifera snails and I've found someone selling "Dark Malaysian Trumpet Snails" that might actually be Thiara granifera ... maybe. Here's the pictures provided by the seller

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Here's a link to the thread where the snail I'm looking for was originally identified as Thiara granifera:

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/index.php?threads/52185/

So now I'm looking for help in identifying the snails the seller is selling as either Thiara granifera or not.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Harry

Here's a few more pictures the seller provided. Hopefully these will help in figuring out whether these are Thiara granifera or not:

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

Thanks,
Harry

It indeed likely is a Thiaridae, could wel be a Melanoides tuberculata, i believe in english commenly called the Red rimmed Malaysian Trumpet snail.
More commonly the shells are pointed, but also seen pics of the same snail (if not misidentified by the uploader/author) as yours with a chopped off point.
Could well be that water parameters and other conditions or genetic strain causes the shell to grow slightly differently or have a different color. I actualy do not know. That's what i assume because there is so much different data to be found under the same name. :) But Definitively something like a Melanoide.

Back