• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small Sponge Filters

Hooky

Does anyone know any tips for seeding small air powered sponge filters? I am setting up some breeding tubs this weekend that will have small air powered sponge filters in, usually if I have changed a filter in the display tanks I just add the old filter media to the new filter for a week or two. How can this be done with sponge filters, the only thing I could think of was to wrap some old filter wool around the new sponges, would this work?

Just hang/put them in a older tank, they will pick up bacteria fast

Do you mean to actually run them in the old tank or just put the sponges in the old tank? How long would you say is a reliable time to leave them to get enough bacteria to run safely on their own?

Just run them, a day should be enough, but longer won't harm. Depends on how pressed for time you are. Just remember they need time to adjust to the bio load, but breeders won't be heavily stocked i guess.

it will be very lightly stocked just a single pair at a time, would you recommend using old tank water in the breeder tank as well?

Hi all,
Does anyone know any tips for seeding small air powered sponge filters?
Just hang/put them in a older tank, they will pick up bacteria fast
I do this as well. I always have a couple spare, they just sit in one of the tanks, and I can retrieve them if I need them.

If you want to seed a new sponge, and you have established filter media available, it is pretty straight forward. Just take the sponge, ceramic etc and swirl out in a bowl of tank water, and then swirl the new sponge in the mulmy water and let it sit for ~20 minutes, and that is really job done.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I do this as well. I always have a couple spare, they just sit in one of the tanks, and I can retrieve them if I need them.

If you want to seed a new sponge, and you have established filter media available, it is pretty straight forward. Just take the sponge, ceramic etc and swirl out in a bowl of tank water, and then swirl the new sponge in the mulmy water and let it sit for ~20 minutes, and that is really job done.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel - any suggestions on cheap reliable sponge filters? the breeding tubs are going to be 10Ltr and about 18cm deep

Hi all,
Thanks Darrel - any suggestions on cheap reliable sponge filters? the breeding tubs are going to be 10Ltr and about 18cm deep
Either DIY your own from PPI10 or PPI20 sponge sheet, something like these <"Generic 18" x 12"> or buy them from <"TA aquaculture">.

I sew the hand made ones up with nylon button thread.

cheers Darrel

Back