• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small Canister filters for small tanks.

Melll

I am looking at setting up some small tanks again, planted and hopefully looking nice, lightly stocked. I have a Dennerle Scapers tank, the 50 litre one, the Dennerle light and the Dennerle Scapers Flow filter which is a canister but hangs on the tank so that one is sorted. For my other small tanks, a 35cm x 35 x 35 cm cube 43 litres approx, a 80cmL x 40cmD x 35cmH - 112 litres and finally a Flexi Mini Scape tank of 32 x 21 x 24cm - 16 litres, I am needing filtration for them.

I am a bit wary of HOB filters, always worried if the outflow blocks then my room will be flooded, so what filters would you recommend for these tanks? I like canister filters, not so keen on internals for these tanks as they are pretty small. Could canister filters sit next to the tank or do they have to go underneath/below the tank?

Hi all,
Could canister filters sit next to the tank or do they have to go underneath/below the tank?
They can go by the tank, they just have to be lower than the water surface, so that the water flows into the canister under gravity. If you look on the Eheim etc. website it will give <"you the minimum head height">.

I have all my canister filters next to the tank, you get more flow (you aren't fighting gravity if you have a low head height), but you need to make sure that the flow into the filter, from the intake, isn't impeded because you can have problems with air pockets.
I like canister filters, not so keen on internals for these tanks as they are pretty small.
I've got <"Eheim AquaCompact"> and <"Eheim 150/2211 filters">. These aren't easy to find now, partially because there are much cheaper small externals from <"OASE etc">.

cheers Darrel

Thank you, :)

So unless I can find some really dinky little canisters shorter than the tank heights, I`m stuck with either the HOB type or internals or am I worrying too much much about the HOB type overflowing and emptying the tank?

Hi all,
So unless I can find some really dinky little canisters shorter than the tank heights, I`m stuck with either the HOB type or internals or am I worrying too much much about the HOB type overflowing and emptying the tank?
I’ve had Eheim Liberty HOBs without any problem.

The <” Eheim Aquacompacts” > have the pump in the intake, but they are pretty ugly.

Cheers Darrel

Thank you :)
Well I have bitten the bullet and gone for a HOB and a HOB canister, both from All Pond Solutions, at the price I thought I would give them a go. I will test the HOB on a storage tub with it in the bath, just in case 😬

I`ve just had my bags of substrate arrive, so tomorrow I will be sorting out hardscape materials :)
Thank you again.

from All Pond Solutions, at the price I thought I would give them a go.
I haven't tried the HOB, but I got one of their internals on that principle, - worth a try for the price. :)
I thought it would be OK until I could afford a 'proper' filter on payday. About twelve years later it's still going strong (touch wood lol ) still not replaced it, but bought some more for other tanks. :)

Hi Jameson and thank you :) As I sat down to read your post my delivery of the HOB canister and HOB waterfall filters arrived from All PondSolutions, I did look at the dinky Oase, a brand that I love, and will bear that in mind should these not be up to my expectations.

Time to start cleaning tanks I think, after a cuppa of course :)

My EF150 is almost a Metre below the top of my 50l aquarium and I've experienced very little loss of flow.
The trick is keeping pipework as straight as possible and having no sharp bends, this maximises flowrate.

Attachments

• 16148774743437487643065826547456.jpg
    16148774743437487643065826547456.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 172
I am a bit wary of HOB filters, always worried if the outflow blocks then my room will be flooded, so what filters would you recommend for these tanks? I like canister filters, not so keen on internals for these tanks as they are pretty small.
Hi @Melll

Although not canisters, have you considered these internal corner filters:

JPC

Great filter, I use them for Purigen only filters. I decided to step up to the FiltoSmart Thermo 100 for my 25cm cube (way overkill!) because the inbuilt heater is great for keeping things neat in smaller tanks.
Hi. Is the flow easily adjusted on the Thermo 100 filter? I too want to get the heater out of the tank!
Thanks.

I have tried one of those internal corner filters and I did not like it. My smallest tank is 20gal/75 liter and I use a Fluval 207 with it, I would think that a 107 might be ideal for our tank.

Well I bit the bullet. Decided on what I wanted the most for my nano, which was creating more space. Oase Thermo 100 turns up tomorrow! Plus some extra plants to squeeze into all that space I'm gonna make!

Well I bit the bullet. Decided on what I wanted the most for my nano, which was creating more space. Oase Thermo 100 turns up tomorrow! Plus some extra plants to squeeze into all that space I'm gonna make!
You can fit a heater in a oase filtosmart 60 if your after a really small heated filter, I made a thread about it a week or so ago. The oase thermo 100 work well though, I've got one on my 35cm cube.

Back