• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small 40 litre tank help

neonplanet40

HI folks,

I have a small 40-litre nano tank that I am going to set up while I wait for my larger tank.

Just looking some feedback on what to use for:

Filter - There is a rear compartment on the tank to hold filter/heater/pump etc.
What media should I use? Types of sponge etc?

Substrate - What substrate should I use (and how thick)? I am looking to keep some easy to keep plants (some carpet ones if possible?

Fish - What kind of small fish could be kept and how many?

Water - My tap water is soft here. Should I use conditioners on this water? If so, what do you recommend?

Plants - Any ideas of what I should get?

Light - I have a custom LED Light. I will use it at first and see how I get on.

Scape - I may make a small hardscape too. Type of stone? I'm thinking 1 'peak' surrounded by carpet plants so it looks like a mini mountain.... Lonely Mountain as the name?! WHo knows...

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:
Hi
I have one modified betta duo tank that is with compartment (sump in back) I have 20 and 15 ppi sponges and siporax.Pump is 350l/h when clean.I have modified to get spray bar in place too.
10w arcadia strech wich is overkill as Im low tech but with floaters is managed sort of.
I have shrimp in it atm and tbh is too small for fish even with loads of media I have in place.
Substrate 2-3cm front and arround 5cm in back.I use sand but It will be easier with sth like Tropica soil powder.
Have a look here
For plant list

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-first-low-tech-attempt.40437/
The little tank is the same with devider removed.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-current-tanks-pic-heavy.50042/
Regards Konsa

Last edited:
SOooooo, my bad., my tank is 40 litres.....

I thought it was smaller :D:D It's amazing the stuff you collect and have stored away...

So what kind of fish could be kept in a 40litre tank?

I'm assuming the other information you provided above will be fine? Thank you for your help.

Would ADA Amazonia be pointless in a tank this size as a substrate?

Hi
If U have the cash to splash and time for the daily waterchanges for the first 3-4 weeks.ADA aqua soil is good substrate even in low tech.Will give U greater margin for errors.
I have kept at different times over the years (As I dont like fish mish mash)ottos,embers,Chilly/mosquito rasboras (Boraras sp) and other of the smaller tetras plus dwarf rainbows (Pseudomugil sp) in 36l heavy planted and they were sound.Ottos even bred in it.
U will need more strong filter.Sth like 600-800l/h and can go a bit deeper on substrate if U have the height of the tank

Regards Konsa

Last edited:
When you say "U will need more strong filter" can you elaborate a little bit? As in more filter media sponges? THe pump I am using is an Eheim compact+ 1000. So I think it can give good turn over for the tank?

Hi
I was referring to flow.I didn't know your pump is 1000+l/h and my initial recommended pump of 350l/h would not have been enough for 40l tank.
The media I recommend is not obstructive and U can put in as much as U have space really.Just have in mind that in planted tanks flow is the thing that matters as plants when healthy will do most of the biological filtration so dont need to have loads of fancy smancy ceramics in.
Is the tank sth like the aqua nano tanks with sump in back.If yes hope your pump flow is adjustable as water in back sump can drop quite low if pump is too strong and is taking water out faster than the water is comming in.Its good idea the pump to be at tge bottom of tge sump too.
Regards Konsa

HI, yes the tank has a sump in the back. The Eheim Compact has adjustable flow so it should be okay. I also have a tunze nano which I can add if required.

Thank you for your help.

I did a lot research before buying the substrate for my nano and ended up buying Tropica Aquarium Soil. Plenty of people find it superior to Amazonia and much cheaper in the UK. I've had excellent growth so far and can't recommend it enough. I chose the powder version (2mm granules).

So, I ordered the Chihiros WRGB 30 with controller.

What's next on my list?

I think I need a heater. My old one (in storage) has some rust on the inside. So I think I may bin that. I had looked at the Aquel Ultra 50w.

Back