• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow & Steady - First tank!

Interesting stuff! I’m dosing liquid co2 at the moment though I am debating upping the dose while the tank has no critters in, at the moment I do 0.5ml per day

Be cautious with increased levels of liquid CO2 (it can definitely precipitate "melt" in susceptible plants), I'd stay close to suggested daily dosing

I’m doing 0.5ml per day which is roughly right- the recommended dosing is 1ml per 50litres

So a little midweek update 4 days on from planting.

First off does anyone have any tips for dealing with this surface scum? I’m pretty sure it’s being caused by the slime coming out of the wood:

AqNRcBH.jpg

And plant updates, the Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' is taking off nicely:

B4jRgxe.jpg

As is the siamensis:

qRW9Nrj.jpg

The helanthium isn’t looking so hot, this wasn’t the best batch of 1-2 grow pots, the others were full to the brim with plants, this one was only about half as full. It’s melting quite a bit at the moment, hopefully it’ll bounce back in time.

JohSGEF.jpg

Overall I’m pleased with the start, I’ve ordered a different ludwigia to replace the current one as the leaves look huge compared to everything else! I’m also thinking about ordering some more of the mini needle buce to flesh out the wood but that will probably wait until have something else to order with it!

TPCuqu0.jpg

One week in, put the ludwigia palustris in and I’m a lot happier with it, I think the scale is much better. Hopefully in a few weeks I can get some shrimp!

The H tenellum will often die back, sometimes initially, sometimes after a time (non CO2 tank) but it will usually recover, just don't muck about with it or disturb the roots overmuch
The 1-2-Grow version often seems as you describe, it's rare to get cups that look as full as shown on Tropica's website (regardless of supplier)

Surface scum - you can likely pick up a good amount of it just by laying paper towel atop the surface, then lifting carefully (try not to let it shed water back into the tank - I have a plastic tray handy that I can move into place under the paper as I lift it)
Also pointing the pump return so it roils the surface as much as possible should help break up the scum - you can do this at night if you want the flow directing elsewhere during daytime

I’ve had the pump agitating the surface all week and it’s much better, the floating plants make it difficult to remove with kitchen roll. I had to take them all out and wash them last week!

Looking good Zoe, some nice growth already in just 2 weeks. The Spec V is a great little tank, surprisingly difficult to scape well as it’s so narrow - as you discovered finding suitable driftwood. Plus scale is so important in this one. Very good job!

Have you thought about a clean-up crew yet? I have some Horned Nerite snails in my Spec V, they are smaller than the regular Nerite snails so again work with the scale of the tank; plus a couple of Amano shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 months in
ygUiOXo.jpg

I’ve changed up the rigt back corner as I’ve not been happy with how it’s looking. Suggestions for a plant for that corner will be gratefully received!!

The two amanos are happy so far and are doing a great job. I’m hoping to get some more shrimp at the end of the month, and fish a month or so after that :)

Looks great Zoe, how about limnophila heterophylla in the corner? Has a nice feathery texture that I think would give a nice contrast and very easy to grow low tech
Thank you for the suggestion I’ll have a look :)

Pogostemon erectus
Limnophilia sessifloria
both do very well in the Spec 19
That looks to be the "dim corner" so Microsrum trident or Anubias gracilis would likely do well

Why not take the thermometer out? I don't have them in any of my tanks. If needed i can put one in for 2 minutes and know the temp. But you see or feel when the temp is of anyway.
it’s just never bothered me, I’ll take it out for the next photo ;)

Pogostemon erectus
Limnophilia sessifloria
both do very well in the Spec 19
That looks to be the "dim corner" so Microsrum trident or Anubias gracilis would likely do well
Thank you, I’ll have a look at those :)

57KK273.jpg

Without the thermometer for Edvet :)

Blue Jelly shrimp are coming on wednesday, I’m really excited!

Back