• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow Growth floating plants?

Gadget

Evening all, so I am busily preparing a 350l corner tank (I'll get a progress thread going at some point soon) and I am trying to plan out what plants I want to add (I'm sure I'll have many more posts about recommendations coming in the next couple of weeks...?). I am thinking about having some floating plants in the two front corners to try and offer some shade to some of the tank inhabitants that may require it. My experience of floating plants is that they grow like wildfire, and you spend the rest of your life combatting amounts of plants at the surface, so my question is 'are there any surface/floating plants that will stay relatively self contained and grow slowly? It feels a little weird asking for plants that 'won't grow, but I hope you understand my point?

Regards
G!

Hi all,
are there any surface/floating plants that will stay relatively self contained and grow slowly?
Possibly Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans)? It was very well behaved for me, so well well behaved that eventually I got fed up <"with continually rescuing it.">

You can regulate the growth of Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) by <"manipulating nutrient levels">. That is why I like it for the "Duckweed Index" it shows a pretty <"linear growth response to nutrients">, and particularly nitrogen.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the tip there.... Phyllanthus fluitans looks rather good... Will do some more reading about it. Many thanks!

G!

I like Frogbit too. I only control it by taking it out and putting it in a new tank. It's very easy to remove completely though, unlike duckweed for example. I can send you some when you're ready if you like? I've just halved the amount in this tank.
20210418_153117.jpg

Cheers
Dan

I can send you some when you're ready if you like?

Thank you that is very kind. Would definitely like to take you up on that. Looks really good!

I'll drop you a line when I am ready... Still deciding on soils for the moment. Also figuring out how I am going to get 73kg of fish tank up on to the base?! ;)

Back