• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slits forming in leaves

nick1984

hi guys, so I noticed today on two of the leaves there's slits forming and I have no idea if its the fish or something else? I'm using the Tropica substrate but I have added nothing else as I thought be cause there's only a few plants it would be enough am I wrong and what should I do to correct? the plant side of things I'm still learning

Attachments

• image0[2750].jpeg
    image0[2750].jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 294
Hi all,
@nick1984 could we have a full tank shot*? There doesn't look anything too much wrong with your Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri), but the new leaves look a bit pale (may just be the photo).

You almost certainly don't need the air stone running during the day, the plants will <"add oxygen really efficiently during the photoperiod">. A lot of people just have them on a timer, to come on outside the photoperiod, when the plants aren't photosynthesising.

*ignore that I see you've posted one in your other thread
img_8145-2708-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

They look pretty healthy to me as well. You have a touch of diatoms on the leaf but not really much to worry about. Sometimes leaves get a bit crinkled as they grow but it's not a problem.

They are a hungry plant species because they have the potential to grow big, quickly, so it's a bit of a balancing act to keep them healthy but at a size they don't take over. Root tabs can help if you don't want to water column dose but if they are a lush green then just keep doing what your doing.

thanks for your help guys, yes the air stones being on a timer did not enter my mind, I know very little about plants what is the time the photosynthesise? and should the light be on for this or is there enough light during the day?

It depends on how bright the room is really but for most of us we need to light the tank for a minimum of about 6 hours for the plants to do ok.

The plants photosynthesise when the light is bright enough for them to do so, which is generally when we are lighting the tank. The plants might photosynthesise in daylight if the room is bright but I'd just consider it an added bonus for them.

is there any specific times that are best for this process?

In terms of lighting? Not really, it's just best to light the tank when you are around to enjoy it. The plants don't mind if you start the lighting at 3 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon. Plants will just photosynthesise and do their thing when the light is bright enough to do so.

great stuff I'm glad I know that as wasn't sure, thanks for all your help guys :)

Back