• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slimy rot and yellowing

chinwag

Hi,

I bought a few plants to try and get started understanding how to grow these, pretty low tech re my thread here.

I've put a few in jars, some with more water, some with less, some into propagators.

All using rainwater only, no heating, LED light on for most of the time.

I'm seeing one species in particular (staurogyne bihar I think) has gone very slimy, some black on the leaves, several totally turned to mush and just fell apart.

20170927_220450.jpg

Another was looking pretty good I thought but has started to yellow here and there.

20170927_220504.jpg

Just wondered if anyone know's what the most likely cause is for this, the yellowing plant is in a propagator where everything else is looking OK so far. The mushy plant is also surrounded by (so far) healthy looking plants.

I'm assuming these two have different light requirements to the rest perhaps? I'm researching both but I thought I'd ask here also.

Thanks.

I lost all of the Bihar, just totally turned to mush.

The yellow I think might be down to not enough light so I've setup a daylight spectrum LED above those now.

I've also started growng some hygrophilia which looked OK for about 5 minutes but now has some black leaves!

I've been reading about that in particular and I keep seeing high phosphate levels mentioned but I wasn't sure that would be an issue with rainwater? I have plants doing peachy in the same water outside.

In hindsight it might have been smart to buy one plant, split it across a few containers and figure out the care for that before getting more, but I couldn't resist the few extra ones!

Back