• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slate

Jimmymac

I sourced some local slat for attaching some plants to for my shrimp tank and while cutting the slate I noticed that it had what looked like some form of metal running through it…. Would anyone know what it is and is it safe for a shrimp tank?

Cheers
4AF2515F-7286-4629-83E7-521F8E45AAB2.jpeg

sourced some local slat for attaching some plants to for my shrimp tank and while cutting the slate I noticed that it had what looked like some form of metal running through it…. Would anyone know what it is and is it safe for a shrimp tank?

Hi @Jimmymac, I do not know about slate specifically, but in the past with with rocks in mostly plant-less tanks I would give the rocks a thorough scrub and clean, let them dry and perform and acid test with white vinegar... if I didn't get a reaction such as a fizzle I would deem them suitable for my tanks otherwise I would toss them. However, with shrimps I would be much, much more careful... especially if you water is more than just slightly acidic (<7 pH). If there is any chance of slowly leaching Copper, Zinc or Nickel or even excess Iron from the slate it could potentially be lethal to your shrimps - their tolerance to especially Copper is low. I do not know if slate can leach any of these elements (besides Iron). Also worth considering with slate, is that the edges can be super sharp and potentially harm livestock. As you describe it I wouldn’t apply it to my shrimp tank.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's reply's :) Think i will side on the air of caution and not bother...but out of curiosity i will try MichaelJ suggestion with a white vinegar test .

Cheers

Gave it a wee soak in distilled white vinegar? And no signs of fizzing…

Attachments

• 246C664E-98F8-4FED-B7D1-99BE415E593D.jpeg
    246C664E-98F8-4FED-B7D1-99BE415E593D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
It should be fine. But if you want complete peace of mind, don’t use it, or take up @sparkyweasel’s idea and use a daphnia bioassay.

The vinegar test is just a diagnostic for carbonates. Many of the rocks used for aquascaping are composed of carbonates so that in itself shouldn’t prevent their use.

Post in thread 'Collecting your own rocks - aquarium safe?'
Collecting your own rocks - aquarium safe?

Back