• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slate for terracing

Paul Willi

Hi,
Hoping to use some slate for terracing different levels, is it ok to use what I guess is old roof slates and any suggestions to keep slate in position long term?
Thanks
Paul

Sure, just give 'em a scrub and they'll be fine.
Not sure about keeping them in position, but the surfaces of roofing slate should be reasonably flat and even so clear silicon might work well.

Cheers Tim, tanks up &running so no silicon. Seen slate used before but terraces didn’t last long ☹️

I do have some slate looking rock, it has slate like layers. It is about 3” thick But has a iron/rusty tinge through it. Should I be wary of using this, thinking I could split in half hopefully more weight to stay in position longer term. Thanks

I think it's called Westmorland stone has the look what you describe and it's safe but make sure
I do have some slate looking rock, it has slate like layers. It is about 3” thick But has a iron/rusty tinge through it. Should I be wary of using this, thinking I could split in half hopefully more weight to stay in position longer term. Thanks

Thanks Paraguay, comparing pics, I think it is slate, just not used to seeing it as thick and with the brown rusty markings 👍🍻

Years ago I made a slate rock feature of "slabs" of slate siliconed together. I got and kept the alignment by drilling a hole through each piece of slate and siliconing in a stainless steel bolt. Looked fine as a terrace.

First issue was it continually attracted algae despite not one bit of algae elsewhere in tank It became a frequent task scrubbing with toothbrush and soaking in bleach in the sink. Maybe because of the "horizontalness" it was bathed in more light than if it were vertical.

Eventually all the silicone came away, it appears aquatic safe silicone, may bond to glass, clothes, fingers and all manor of things you don't want it on, but bonding to slate is not one of them,:rolleyes:

Back