• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slate Cube

hwscot

Hi, folks, this is my 90L 18" cube tank with slate hardscape. This post for design concept and prep, then will do a post about how it's gone the first month.

Basic idea is from gardening interests, wildlife, woodland, plus small bulbs and alpines. Our garden has an informal feel, with some old walls and raised beds. I wanted that feel in the tank, with a formal hardscape and the planting jungly. Like a formal garden where nature went wild. This is my first ever scaped tank but I still want fish in it, a community tank with a limited range of species. Past favourites were livebearers, tetras and corys. The tank is by Blau. I started setting it up in mid-late December, but prep started in October.

Prep was done with two small tanks to grow on plants and cycle filters. A 25L tank from P@H, and a container from the garden, c. 16L, similar footprint to the 25L but shallower. Separate post about substrate follows to break up the info.

Plants, nothing difficult (w. 1 exception). S. repens, Crypt beckettii Peitchii, Lilaeopsis braziliensis, Java moss, Hydrocotyle, Hemianthus tenellus, Buce 'Theia' and, foolishly, Alternanthera 'mini', for which I realise now I didn't have enough light. Some came in rockwool, some in gel. Everything did ok except for the Alternanthera, which mostly melted, though a few bits sulked on for a while. I used liquid CO2. Crypts from the gel melted but have slowly recovered, the ones rooted in rockwool (which were much larger) were fine. Idea was to buy a few larger 'specimen' plants at planting time.

Spent November working on the slate. Loads of sketches. Picked up a four large roofing slates from local Travis Perkins, c £3 each, ended up using two plus some scrap bits I had already in the garden. It's a simple box with a tall backplate for main visual impact. Backplate is c. 12" wide, 14" tall, sides c. 6" high by about 10" long, front of box reinforced by a horizontal shelf about 3" wide. Miliput (a lot) to hold it. Slate-cutting skills minimal so it's rough; can add more detail if anyone's interested. Basically it's a slate s**thouse. I also made a small slate 'raised bed', which is just a small box, c 3" x 5". (sizes approximate). Idea being to add another level for interest, with somewhere nearer the lights for the Alternanthera. Perimeter is c. 3" at the sides, a bit more at the front, wide enough for fish to roam along and through the planting. Plenty of room behind upright piece of slate for heater, filtration and any other stuff, als plenty of handspace allowance for being a klutz when doing maintenance.

Filtration is mainly old-school sponge filters, (efficient, fry-friendly, and I love the sound of them). I wanted a tank not dependent on CO2 but using DIY while plants are establishing, and not minding a lot of it gassing off because of the bubbling and movement at the surface. The 25L had two small sponge filters, relying on nitrogen from the substrate leaching up into the water, and that with decaying plant material being enough to cycle the filters, which worked ok. The 16L had one sponge filter plus an airstone. In November I added a few small blue platys to the 25L. A small internal power filter came with the 25L so that went into the 90L for modest mechanical filtration and a bit of flow.

The pic was taken today, so c. 1 month from planting. Failed to take pics when newly planted. It gives an overall idea of the design. Effectively it's a big clunky island of slate. Will add more details when I talk about how planting has been developing, which should also show details of the slate structure. Be gentle with me, it's my first time.

Attachments

• DSCF1368 Xn_AIS Af 2k.jpg
    DSCF1368 Xn_AIS Af 2k.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 343
Substrate: For the growing-on tanks (16L and 25L) I used loam-based compost with alpine grit, and miracle-gro. Mix was c. 1 of loam to 3 of grit, c. 2" deep, with c. 1" of alpine grit over it. As a layer covering the base of the 16L and in clay pots in the 25L. I used that to grow on a range of basic plants, gradually adding to them through November and early December. For the 90L cube I bought black sand and gravel. For the sand I used Pettex Roman Gravel Black sand (confusing name) and Unipac Limpopo; for the gravel I used Pettex Roman Gravel Aquatic Gravel (yes, 'gravel twice')and Wave Ceramic Quartz Substrate. Thinking four different materials would give me a wider range of grain sizes. The two sands turned out to be identical, likewise the two gravels.

Base level of substrate in the 90L is a plain sand perimeter c. 2" wide, and within it a layer of the same mix I used in the growing-on tanks, plus rock-dust, (used in alpine gardening to add minerals). The perimeter has root tabs every couple of inches. The box is set into that layer, then additional sand around it, then box infilled. Infill for the box is loam plus black sand and gravel, with rock dust and miracle gro. Likewise for the 'raised bed' which sits in the box.

pic of the 16L growing-on tank, now just about empty, apart from a few spares of small things in pots moved over from the 25L (which now has a few livebearers in it). Now with just an airstone for water movement. Getting occasional feed. Lighting over the grow tanks was a couple of 2ft fluorescents and a desk lamp added later in a not totally failed effort to keep the failing Alternanthera alive. A bit late to the game, added some red root floater to the 25L, which is going ok and as it multiplies is being moved to the 90L (where the water movement means it's not doing quite so well, but we're slowly getting there, more when I update the 90L story).
1642557465379.png

I don't remember seeing anything like this before! The lighting adds great impact with the darkness of the front at light falling on the taller slate.

Reminds me a little of the black monolith in 2001.

Thanks, Michael .. yes, the colours really pop against the grey. I had plans for a tank with a subtly restrained colour scheme with just blue and green fish, but deep down I always knew I'd never be able to resist cardinals.

Back