• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Skip's 60-P

Hi guys,

Having finally made the decision on which tank to go with, I thought I should start a journal to cover my first planted tank. I haven't bought anything just yet as I wanted to make sure my shopping list covers everything I need and isn't missing anything glaringly obvious. Having recently come back from Afghan I have quiet a healthy budget to "waste on a stupid fish tank" as the girlfriend puts it so I'm looking to go for a full ADA setup. Heres the shopping list.

Tank
- ADA Cube Garden 60-P (60x30x36)
Lighting
- Arcadia OT2 4x24W
CO2 System
- CO2 Bottle (Undecided)
- Easy Aqua Twin Guage Regulator/Solenoid
- ADA CO2 Beetle Counter
- ADA CO2 New Pollen Glass
- ADA Carbochon Ruby
- ADA CO2 System Cear Parts Set
- ADA Drop Checker
Filtration
- Ehiem Eco Pro 130
- ADA Lily Pipe Inflow V-3 13mm
- ADA Lily Pipe Outflow P-2 13mm
- ADA Clear Hose 13mm
Heating
- Hydor ETH External Thermal Heater 200W 13mm
Substrate System
- ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia 9 Litre
- ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia 3 Litre
- ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia Powder 3 Litre
- ADA Power Sand S 2 Litre
- ADA Penac P
- ADA Penac W
- ADA Tourmaline BC
Fertilisers and Additives
- ADA Green Brighty Step 1
- ADA Brighty K
- ADA Green Bacter
- ADA Phyton Git

From what I've been reading I don't really require some of the extra additives for the substrate system however being in the Army I wont be around at the weekends and sometimes longer due to work. I'm hoping these extra additives will give me an extra buffer to keep things ticking over.

I understand that a 10x flow rate from the output of the filter is recommended but I've been advised that would be carnage in a small tank and to go with the Ehiem Ecoo Pro 130. That said, it looks like a ugly bit of kit to me! Sadly its going to have to go on my desk next to the tank. I was wondering if anyone has any other reccomendations for a suitable filter?

As you can see I'm still undecided which direction to go with for a CO2 bottle. I'm tempted by a fire extinguisher but I understand that there could be safety issues. That and I'm sure the company quartermaster might have something to say if he sees a taped up fire extinguisher rigged up to a fish tank. The other option I'm looking at is a refillable bottle. I'm just wondering what people would recommended when it comes to CO2 bottles??

And thats about as far as I've got for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions later!

Cheers.

You must be getting paid well ha ha. I'd need a lottery win for all that ada stuff.
I was actually reading up on the penac p and w earlier and found it to not be necessary at all and that the main ingredient in it is a form of sand according to a thread somewhere from tom Barr.
Sounds like its going to be a lovely set up though.
Co2 wise maybe a small pub has bottle or the jbl co2 bottles would be ideal.
The Ecco pro are ugly in my opinion but good little filters, but maybe one of the smaller tetra tec filters ie the ex400 or 600? They look nicer too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Alastair, good to know I'm along the right lines then with kit. After reading about the TetraTec EX600 it looks to be nice little a filter and I think I'll go with one of those. Thanks for the recommendation.

Skipper644 said:
Cheers Alastair, good to know I'm along the right lines then with kit. After reading about the TetraTec EX600 it looks to be nice little a filter and I think I'll go with one of those. Thanks for the recommendation.

No probs mate. Go on zooplus, you get 10% off too on a first order. Or figure out there German site and get it even cheaper. Good luck mate will be following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely use the german zooplus site (remember to register on THAT one and not the UK one though to get your 10% discount). Any orders over 29euro get free delivery (yes I know, HOW can they afford it, lol?). Another filter to consider would be the JBL Crystalprofi E701 or E901, which IMHO are better than Tetratec. Having said that its all a matter of personal preference. Ive recently acquired a RENA Filstar XP2 and as well as looking very stylish I reckon it packs quite a punch for its size too.

You shouldn't have to tape up a fire extinguisher. Most come with a pin you can insert to keep them in the 'on' position. That means you can get a swanky chrome on which will look nice on your desk but will be way cheaper than a refillable.

As for the filter I like the rena xp series as well. I have an xp2 on my 60-P. WOrk wonderfully and has so far been very reliable. They aren't too expensive and come with lots of outlets. They have quite a lot of flow but if you adjust the spray bar just right you can stop it from blowing plants out for the first week or two. Once the plants have settled you can move on to any outlet. I have lilly pipes on mine and flow is spot on.

ADA stage ferts and brighty K are great but expensive for what they are. There are much cheaper alternatives out there.

Now you need to get ordering and show us some photos!

p.s Amazonia will leech ammonia into your tank,so no livestock for a while. Just something to remind you of if you don't know.

I may be wrong Rob, but the pin, as far as I understand it, is to keep the handle from being squeezed to release the CO2 when used for its proper purpose. Everyone I have spoken to about FE's used for an aquarium CO2 application has used either tape or ties to make sure the trigger remains fully open. Have you done yours the way you suggested ?

Westyggx said:
The pin is used for ensuring the susbtance isnt released. I work for the Fire Brigade 😉

Thought so mate, just as I believed 🙂

I never used tape on my FE.
I was always able to reinsert the pin when in the 'on' position.
Not all FE's are made equal though so it's probably not always possible.

RoughIt said:
I never used tape on my FE.
I was always able to reinsert the pin when in the 'on' position.
Not all FE's are made equal though so it's probably not always possible.

Is your trigger handle depressed ALL the way down when you replace the pin like this or is there some slack ? See my concern is that it much more easily get removed or knocked out than if the trigger was taped down. Its just another risk IMHO.

Antipofish said:
Is your trigger handle depressed ALL the way down when you replace the pin like this or is there some slack ? See my concern is that it much more easily get removed or knocked out than if the trigger was taped down. Its just another risk IMHO.

There isn't normally any slack until the FE runs out but I did put a piece of wire through the hole at the end of the pin and twisted the ends together, creating a diameter too large to pull back through the handle hole.
I've never had any issues with the pin moving but the wire was just a fail safe, as I had similar concerns as you.
A small r-clip or ringpin would probably be better as it would be quicker and easier to fit and remove.

Doug.

My FE has two pairs of holes for the pin too. One to keep it off and one for fully open.
I agree that there could be some risk there but I have a split pin through the end of mine, so very unlikely it could be pulled/knocked free.

Like somebody has said, I guess different brands are made differently.

pariahrob said:
My FE has two pairs of holes for the pin too. One to keep it off and one for fully open.
I agree that there could be some risk there but I have a split pin through the end of mine, so very unlikely it could be pulled/knocked free.

Like somebody has said, I guess different brands are made differently.

Im not convinced that "fully open" is an intended application for a CO2 fire extinguisher Rob even if that coincidentally is what it does. Why, in the normal intended use of an FE, would anyone specifically insert a pin back into it to hold the trigger fully open ? You grab it, pull the pin out, squeeze the trigger and extinguish the fire surely ?

pariahrob said:
I have no idea whatsoever! :lol:
All I know is that mine has a second pair of holes that does just that. You've got me thinking now though. What could they be for?

:?:

Filling?

OllieNZ said:
pariahrob said:
I have no idea whatsoever! :lol:
All I know is that mine has a second pair of holes that does just that. You've got me thinking now though. What could they be for?

:?:

Filling?

That would make sense yes. Westy ? You will know the answer I'm sure mate.

At uni I had a health and safety induction and they tell you to reinsert the pin and discharge the whole fire extinguisher not to use it in bursts and to always discharge the whole FE even when the fire it out.

Back