• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Similar alternative to ADA La Plata Sand

BigJohnnyTwoToes

Hi All,

I'm building a scape with black mountain seiryu, manzanita and some ada aquagravel. The plan was to use ada la plata but too but can't get it near me. Anyone know of any good almost identical in appearance alternatives? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There aren't many alternatives to La Palata if you want the variable grain size.

shopping

The closest I've seen is the Wio Heaven River Sand, not quite as light as the La Plata, but some grain size variability:

wio-heaven-river-sand-2kg-5400-p.jpg

Both expensive options though if you have a larger tank. Another alternative is Hugo Kamishi Natural Sand, not as light as either of the other two, and not nearly as much grain size variability (and smaller grain sizes on average) but much cheaper at around 1/6th of the price:

nsand_500x.jpg

I guess tastes are different, but combing DOOA river sand, and ADA La Plata is my favourite sand available. Just looks natural to me.

La Plata is so bland tbh, I was very disappointed the first time I used it.

By far the best yellow/natural sand I've used is the Zolux Aquasand Rio but it might not be easy to find in the UK.

Looks like a good option from the few pictures available, but you are right, I can't see it available anywhere in the UK.

La Plata is so bland tbh, I was very disappointed the first time I used it.

By far the best yellow/natural sand I've used is the Zolux Aquasand Rio but it might not be easy to find in the UK.
Play sand from B n Q, looks great and far cheaper

Play sand from B n Q, looks great and far cheaper

It depends what you are after though. I really like the cheap Unipac Silica and Silver sands too, but the thing with the fancy aquascaping sands is the variable grain sizes give a much more natural look - the silica sand is just a little too uniform - and that grain variability is difficult to recreate manually.

Buy cheap play sand and then add a few smaller bags of different grade gravel and sand to create the variability. Should save a few quid.

Cheers

Yep - to be fair that's what I plan to do on my 1500, the cheaper sand underneath, and cap it off with the Wio heaven sand. It's far to expensive to fill a 1500 🤑

Back