• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silver Tip dropped dead after w/c

Bertie

Hi,
I just did my weekly 50% water change this morning and about 5mins afterwards, one of my silver tips showed distress, and then dropped dead.

I had it about 10 months.

It has not happened before but has anyone else come across this, or is it possibly a coincidence?
It was not showing any signs of distress or illness prior to the water change!

The fish look fine and yes I am dosing co2. I have had a couple die due to the co2 previously whilst I was getting the co2 sorted, but no fish have shown distress or signs that the co2 is to blame since I lowered the co2.some time ago.

Well the only diff this morning was I changed an extra bucket = 10 Litres or so. Would not have thought that it would have that result?

Hi Bertie,
sorry to hear about the silver tip.
Do you pre heat your water change water or is it just cold water used?
if all the rest are ok id think it was a weak/old fish that has been easily effected by shock of some kind.

Hi Ady,
Yes I always pre-heat the water and is always about 1 deg out (normally cooler) compared to the tank.
Yes I can only put it down to shock for some reason. It is strange though, this was one of my first fish. The others all look ok though.

Twice a year here in my neck of the wood's,water treatment plant increases the chlorine content and I use extra dechlorinator at these times. During these times,,I add enough (PRIME) to treat the volume of water the tank hold's rather than for amount removed during water change.

Hi,
Interesting....whereabouts are you? I use Prime also and unless forgotten to add to the buckets (rarely) I just add to the buckets.

Hi,
Interesting....whereabouts are you? I use Prime also and unless forgotten to add to the buckets (rarely) I just add to the buckets.

Across the pond in U.S. Great state of Missouri.

Ah...one of the few countries in the world I have not visited ;)

Back