• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silent pump for CO2 reactor?

TimT

I'm on the lookout for a totally silent pump for my CO2 reactor.

And my definition of totally silent? When sitting next to the aquarium you have to really concentrate to identify and pick up the sound. A TV running would make it impossible to hear it.

I have bought a Eheim Compact+ 2000 to run the reactor (~50 cm, Ø5cm DIY tube) but it is simply too noisy. I have tried it both in and out of the water with tubing but it hums so clearly you can hear over the TV even when freely suspended and goes really loud if it touches anything in or out of the tank and resonates with the surroundings.

Does anybody have a suggestion on which pump to buy?

So far i have a Eheim 2076 canister and a Eheim Biopower 200 in the tank and they are dead quiet. I think I'll compromise the CO2 distribution if I run the reactor with the 2076. I was really surprised with the Biopower. I thought it it wasn't working because I couldn't hear it all all :). The 2076 has a slight hum but not audible once the cabinet doors are closed.

I have actually considered buying a Biopower 240 for the reactor and only keep one filter media in it but that will only give ~740 liters/hour which might not be enough. Or perhaps a canister filter without the media baskets but one filter layer to protect the rotor? I need to be able to adjust the flow and my guess is that I need ~1000-2000 liter per hour. Perhaps less. But no sound it important as the tank is in my living room and I go crazy if I can hear it! :eek:

Any suggestions?

Their is only one that I have ever found in 30 years of fishkeeping & that is a Grundfos 15/60 with an Aquaturn conversion.
Extremely robust, virtually silent, incredibly long lasting & incredible value but quite high wattage, 3 x power settings - 40 - 60 & 90 watt.
I use mine on all three setting but mainly on the 40 w = 1300 lph or the 60w setting = 2500lph
Cost around £60 for the pump & £12 for the conversion, runs on 21.5 mm pipe.
On the max setting you will get a noise if there is any flow restriction on the inlet but you do get 4500lph!!
Here is a vid of mine working....

Cost around £60 for the pump & £12 for the conversion, runs on 21.5 mm pipe.
Denmark being a nation of over zealous environmental friendly eco buffs (which is nice - don't get me wrong) there is only a special power saving version readily available: ~230GBP!!! :eek: And Grundfos is even Danish. I would be a bit weary of buying equipment that expensive in a place where I couldn't go down and yell at the store clerk if necessary :)

Your setup looks great by the way!

Back