• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Side glass is floating

kirehajba

Hey guys!

I just got my new rimless aquarium with dimensions:
160 x 60(h) x 70, glass thickness 15mm.

However, one of the long-side glasses is floating, for 2mm and not touching the base :(
The aquarium is huge so I don't want to take any risks here.

any thoughts on this one?
aquarium 1.jpg

Attachments

• aquarium 2.jpg
    aquarium 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 221
  • aquarium 4.jpg
    aquarium 4.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 215
  • aquarium 5.jpg
    aquarium 5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 225
  • aquarium 6.jpg
    aquarium 6.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 226
That’s poor, it will be slightly weaker as it’s not a full connection to the side of the glass. Honestly it’s not good enough and I’d have them come and fix that.

I would also be worried about the air bubbles in the silicone joints, eg in pics 4 and 6.

To fix it they would have to take that panel off and redo the seal. Tbh it's not the neatest silicone work along any of those seams. Certainly not a professional finish.

Was this a custom job or an off the shelf tank?

Thanks Mort,
this was a custom build aquarium by an "reputable" and very expensive aquarium builder from Belgium.
The price was 1900 eur (almost an ADA price)

i think the solution is returning it - but the company who build it doesn't want to take it back, hiding behind a custom build tank...

That's shocking quality for that price. Did you pay on credit card? If so, you may/should be able to recall the payment? (Though I'm not sure on how it works for cross border transactions)

I did pay with bank transfer... I have to see the options of taking the money back.. I guess it involves legal support :(

Thanks Mort,
this was a custom build aquarium by an "reputable" and very expensive aquarium builder from Belgium.
The price was 1900 eur (almost an ADA price)

i think the solution is returning it - but the company who build it doesn't want to take it back, hiding behind a custom build tank...

Aquariums built by specialized builders are often made-to-order. You should contact a consumer rights helpdesk in your country to get legal advice, but my understanding of the <EU Consumer Rights framework> is that custom/made-to-order products are excluded from the 14 day "no questions asked" return and refund policy that applies to other products. Apart from this exception, there is no differentiation between customized and non-customized products in terms of rights and guarantees. This means that you should be entitled to a free of charge repair, replacement, or full refund.

The issues you have on this aquarium are not minor. The side pane was not cut to the correct dimensions, which will lead to uneven pressure distribution, and those bubbles and imperfections in the silicone seams are not acceptable in an 700 liter pool aquarium that has no reinforcement bracing. George Farmer had to decommission his amazing Aquascaper 1200 aquarium because of bubbling in the silicone... you certainly do not want to set up a tank that is already displaying the same issues even before being filled up! I would request a new replacement aquarium since the company will need to redo several seams or a full refund. Get legal advice because this aquarium is too big a risk.

It's very common for tank builders to play hard ball because it's difficult to just send a tank back. That tank isn't really fit for purpose so you should be able to make them replace or make good but I would really closely examine any new tank from them for even the smallest imperfection if you go down the replacement route. It should all be at their expense as well.

This is an example of what we used to call a companies over here, "Friday night specials", because they frequently sent out tanks that looked like they wanted to knock off early and head down the pub.

For the amount you paid for the tank it should be perfect and not leave you wondering if it's safe to fill.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Just out of curiosity what brand is that tank? I would send it back last thing you want is for it to give way when full that could be more costly then the tank itself. As others have said bubbling silicone is definitely not a good sign especially when its brand new.

Might just be me but I've not seen a tank with the side stuck to the outside of the base (if that makes sense). Every tank I've owned/seen has always had the side panels sat on top of the base. I'm not sure why they'd join them like this. If the offset was the other way (protruding below the base), which I assume could happen using this method, it would be even worse. Might just be me but would be interested if others have seen this before.

Good luck with getting it resolved though.

Thanks Castle! how can this be fixed, beside new aquarium?
Dismantle (Cut) the entire tank, clean it and redo it... Taking out only one panel you'll run into the issue that new silicone does not bond very well with old cured silicone.

The issue with large tanks is the skinning time of the silicone. Depending on which brand is used this will be between 8 and 12 minutes. This means the complete tank needs to be done within this skinning time. And obviously, how larger the tank is how faster you need to work. And doing that in a max of 12 minutes is extremely fast. It shows that your's was a hasty job from a novice. And it's a one-way ticket to the blues. There will be no turning back, mistakes can only be solved by letting the silicone cure preferably a week, and go as described above and redo it.

And that's what gives them the hiccups of course and trying to bend around all the corners not to have to redo it. Taking it apart and cleaning it might be a day's work if not longer. And then having the risk it isn't cleaned enough and run into issues again. The one-way ticket to the blues... Sorry for the bad news. :(

Might just be me but I've not seen a tank with the side stuck to the outside of the base (if that makes sense). Every tank I've owned/seen has always had the side panels sat on top of the base. I'm not sure why they'd join them like this. If the offset was the other way (protruding below the base), which I assume could happen using this method, it would be even worse. Might just be me but would be interested if others have seen this before.

It's called a floating base (or similar) and it is/was quite a popular method of tank building.

All my current tanks have the sides stuck on the outside of the base.

Opposite for me - I'm not sure I've ever seen a tank with the vertical panels sat on the base panel? There is never an exposed silicone seam on the bottom of any of the tanks I've seen.

Edit: Sorry, post crossed with the other two post above confirming the same.

'm not sure I've ever seen a tank with the vertical panels sat on the base panel?
I did, but that's a long time ago, it's a rather old-school tank build technique...

And I forgot the bottom inside is a tad cheaper as well because you only need to unsharpen and grind 8 sides. With sides on the top bottom panel, there are 4 sides extra to polish. Grinding/polishing the glass edges on average will cost about 3 quits p/feet.

It's called a floating base (or similar) and it is/was quite a popular method of tank building.

All my current tanks have the sides stuck on the outside of the base.
All of the floating based tanks I've seen or owned have trim at the bottom so the base doesn't actually contact what ever the tank is sat on.

Opposite for me - I'm not sure I've ever seen a tank with the vertical panels sat on the base panel? There is never an exposed silicone seam on the bottom of any of the tanks I've seen.

The bottom panel inside is not only the strongest tank construction but also easier to assemble... :)

Pretty commonly preferred construction nowadays, look at all off-the-shelf factory-made tanks. They all have the bottom panel inside.
I clearly need to get a new tank.
Also just realised than two of the tanks I own do actually have the base inside. Apologies, talking rubbish as usual.

Clearseal budget tanks are still made with the sides on the base. Don't know whether is a cheaper/easer method?

I clearly need to get a new tank.

There is nothing wrong with sides on the base, even tho it's less strong it is a neglectable weakness. But in theory side on top of the base, the water pressure pushes the panels out, which creates a rolling edge force on the bottom seams. And silicone is weakest in holding this rolling-off force. Silicon is much stronger withstanding a pushing force and stretching horizontally.

And as explained above it actually is more expensive, because there are 4 sides extra to be polished with bottom outside.

ANd it's more difficult to assemble because you would need standoffs for the side panels to maintain the preferred seam thickness. Because the weight from the panel will push vertically on the yet not cured silicone and squash it out. Thus if you have a good build bottom outside tank it actually prooves good craftmanship. :thumbup: That should and could be respected. :)

Good craftsmen are a dying breed... Obviously...

Back