• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Siamese algae eater

Tom Michael

Whilst on a recent trip to Japan, I observed quite a few aquascapes in predominately ADA aquariums in pet shops, which were spotlessly free of algae.

A couple of observations were that the flow in the tanks wasn't as high as I would expect, low levels of CO2 were used (I'm guessing the water was quite soft) and all of the aquariums, regardless of size, had young SAEs.

I have never owned these fish due to their reputation for losing interest in algae as they get older, their larger size once full grown, and I have also read that they eat moss.

Interested to hear peoples experience, in particular do they stop eating when they get older and will they eat moss?

young SAEs.
I think that’s rather your answer right there ;)

(else you’d have seen tanks with mature SAEs as well)

If you read through Mark Evans journal (sorry don’t recall which) he has some excellent video/photos of SAEs wreaking havoc on his HC carpet - once started, they were quite dedicated to the (war?) effort

Hi. All the ones I’ve kept never got sick of eating algae but the older ones are always happy to take an easy feed of regular fish food too. Not over feeding helps them stay smaller for longer.
They easily clear up bba but then move onto moss
They prefer new growth of bba so over time it just disappears.
The young fish don’t eat moss
They like Xmas moss over java moss
Great fish to watch interact with it’s own kind in the aquarium.
5 or more is best.
They can be jumpers and find there way into the strangest spots like co2 drop checkers

Hi. All the ones I’ve kept never got sick of eating algae but the older ones are always happy to take an easy feed of regular fish food too. Not over feeding helps them stay smaller for longer.
They easily clear up bba but then move onto moss
They prefer new growth of bba so over time it just disappears.
The young fish don’t eat moss
They like Xmas moss over java moss
Great fish to watch interact with it’s own kind in the aquarium.
5 or more is best.
They can be jumpers and find there way into the strangest spots like co2 drop checkers

Thanks for the insight Simon - I do actually have quite a bit of xmas moss I am quite fond off! is it a case of when they start to get a taste for this it will become wiped out, or can you start feeding them other food (algae wafers etc) to deter?

Thanks for the insight Simon - I do actually have quite a bit of xmas moss I am quite fond off! is it a case of when they start to get a taste for this it will become wiped out, or can you start feeding them other food (algae wafers etc) to deter?

I think they will just keep eating the moss, they love the new growth and won’t give it a chance to grow. They like to keep feeding throughout the day so adding food once or twice probably won’t help save the moss.

Sae’s never touched the Phoenix moss and maybe not Taiwan moss in my tank. creeping moss, Xmas moss were the 1st to be eaten. The moss always recovered after removing the sae’s

Sae’s never touched the Phoenix moss and maybe not Taiwan moss in my tank. creeping moss, Xmas moss were the 1st to be eaten. The moss always recovered after removing the sae’s
Interesting that they have such specific tastes ! I suppose either way its a gamble - I will probably just start with one juvenile in the aquarium and see how it reacts, and rehome if it becomes a major problem.

There are several different species of SAE that have different food preferencies and not all eat moss.

Getting just one fish is not fair to the fish as they are extremely social.

Which species dont eat moss ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 4 Crossochelius Reticulatus (Silver Flying Fox / Reticulated Algae Eater / Fishnet Algae Eater) and once the BBA was gone from my tank they demolished my Christmas moss, it will not grow at all any more. Haven't tried them with other mosses.

Back