• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimplets and Aquael Pat Mini

I have a 30l cube tank with about a dozen RCS and a few Ramshorn snails, quite heavily planted. It has a Pat mini filter and Leddy lights. One of my RCS is berried so, in a panic, I put the foot of a 40 denier tights over the sponge of my filter as I was concerned about the shrimplets being sucked in. This reduced the flow so much that when I woke up this morning all the shrimp were floating near the surface, presumably due to low O2. Since the lights have been on (I keep them off overnight for about 14h) the shrimp have all recovered and I can see bubbles pearling on a lot of the plants so O2 concentration must have increased but I am worried about it happening again.

Would I be ok removing the tights from the sponge do you think? I am worried about the shrimplets being sucked in but equally don't want everyone to die or be stressed by low O2.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

It's fine for shrimp-lets, they won't be sucked in. Is that the Aquael 30L shrimp set? I've the same tank/filter/light with cherries in and they are fine. They'll graze on the sponge but there is no suction there.

It's fine for shrimp-lets, they won't be sucked in. Is that the Aquael 30L shrimp set? I've the same tank/filter/light with cherries in and they are fine. They'll graze on the sponge but there is no suction there.
Thanks, that is very comforting to hear.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

There is a very worthwhile,( IMO) and simple upgrade to the Pat Mini sponge filter capability and set up.
Just Google --- "Pat mini upgrade", and watch first video.
Of course it's up to you whether you pursue it of not

The pat mini is a superb shrimp filter, and you should be safe using the standard sponge. There is also an even finer sponge available; if you want to be extra careful! :)

Back