• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp with discolouration

Majsa

Any idea if there’s something wrong with this shrimp? The colouration is really strange, but it doesn’t seem to be bothered. I’ve had this colony since 2017 and I’ve seen this once or twice during the years. I remember culling one a year or so ago to be on the safe side but not sure what to do with this one. Either she’s ill or it’s just innocent discolouration? It looks like it’s on the shell and not inside.

24f4986fc0ff2983d9009aefa225a411.jpg

As long as its feeding, and moving around normally i wouldn't be too worried.

Do you have any other shrimp or all yellow? Was thinking it might be simply a colour mutation coming through.

As long as its feeding, and moving around normally i wouldn't be too worried.

Do you have any other shrimp or all yellow? Was thinking it might be simply a colour mutation coming through.

Thanks, I think I’ll just keep an eye on it for now. They are all yellow and the colour has been rather stable, more or less yellow but no browns yet. Considering it took so long before the second/third case it probably isn’t anything contagious.

Any idea if there’s something wrong with this shrimp? The colouration is really strange, but it doesn’t seem to be bothered. I’ve had this colony since 2017 and I’ve seen this once or twice during the years. I remember culling one a year or so ago to be on the safe side but not sure what to do with this one. Either she’s ill or it’s just innocent discolouration? It looks like it’s on the shell and not inside.

24f4986fc0ff2983d9009aefa225a411.jpg
Hi @Majsa I've noticed some discoloration with some of my shrimps as well over time as they go through the molting. None of the shrimps seems to be bothered about it as they are all happily bouncing around foraging and doing shrimp stuff.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @Majsa I've noticed some discoloration with some of my shrimps as well over time as they go through the molting. None of the shrimps seems to be bothered about it as they are all happily bouncing around foraging and doing shrimp stuff.

Cheers,
Michael

That’s a relief to hear. I haven’t seen this shrimp/discolouration for a day or so, maybe it went molting. They’re all yellow and doing their thing

All Cardinia and Neocardinia colour strains are selected on colour propperties and isolated cultivation. In some cases it is a natural mutation in others it is a specific diet responsible for the colour. In the case of the latter, a diet change can cause a colour change, this can be a specific kind of algae growing in your tank they feed on. This goes actually for most shrimps if not all, I remember a specific alga that makes Amano shrimps turn blue in colour. I forgot which algae it is, in other cases orange and amber coloured Amanos are also reported, this can be resourced back on the internet.

When it comes to the Cardinia and Neocardinia etc. there also exists a list of which can interbreed and which do not. It's recommended not to put the ones that interbreed together because, in the end, all the interbreeding and colour mixing will finally turn your intire shrimp population brown in their actual natural colour.

You should research which specific shrimp you have (don't mix them with other colours if advised so) and how to take care of them regarding diet... Things you can't really control that much is the aufwuchs growing in your tank they also will feed off. Which can cause colour changes.

Last edited:
Back