• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

Paulo your tank is looking great!

One question, how do you get your cherry shrimp to go so red? Mine (ones I got from you!) are red, but not nearly as red as yours are! They seem happy enough, because they're breeding. What are you feeding yours?

aaronnorth said:
However, i have been told my monitor needs calibrating :D
Think mine does too, have to check that Pantone thingy again, shame they cost a fortune!

Gill said:
OMG THat is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo Spectacular,Stupendous, Super, Stunning
Thanks Gill :) glad you liked it ;)

hellohefalump said:
Paulo your tank is looking great!
One question, how do you get your cherry shrimp to go so red? Mine (ones I got from you!) are red, but not nearly as red as yours are! They seem happy enough, because they're breeding. What are you feeding yours?
Hi Helen :) the shrimp I sent you are a mix bunch you will get some really good red ones and ones that don't go so red, I have lots of not so red in my tank too, but I have purchased a few extra reds recently to improve the genes and try to get all of them red, I have been doing a selective breeding program recently also, again to improve the colours, also a reason I haven't sold any recently and won't be for a few months now.

You need to feed them high calcium foods, I feed mine Hikari crab/lobster & shrimp foods, Sera Shrimp, JBL Shrimp, Algae waffers and an LFS granule, I mix and max on a daily basis to ensure an healthy diet.

Hope that helps :)

George Farmer said:
Paulo - Do you think one of the keys to success with moss is shrimp. I'm assuming they crawl all over freeing it from detritus, algae etc?
I would have to say yes on this one George, I have tried moving mosses from my main tank to the shrimp tank that were covered in algae and after a couple of days there is no sight of it, they are always going through the moss, specially the Fissidens Fontanus which in my main tank I can't keep it clear of hair algae.

The new batch of cherries are coming along nicely, got some nice reds in there :)

pict2185.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Wow! That's an incredible amount of shrimp (or is it shrimps?!)

Nice photography as well. The moss looks like the perfect home for them and I bet they are great at keeping it clean.

I love it! :thumbup:

LondonDragon said:
The new batch of cherries are coming along nicely, got some nice reds in there :)

pict2185.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Whoa there!!! And you said you didnt have many good ones! You fibber! They look great and so does that fissidens! :thumbup:

When can i place my next order? o_O

NA-Fan said:
Wow! That's an incredible amount of shrimp (or is it shrimps?!)
Nice photography as well. The moss looks like the perfect home for them and I bet they are great at keeping it clean.
I love it! :thumbup:
Think its shrimp hehe many thanks :)

andyh said:
Whoa there!!! And you said you didnt have many good ones! You fibber! They look great and so does that fissidens! :thumbup:
When can i place my next order? o_O
They are too small still, maybe in a couple of months time in the new year ;)
Still looking for some super reds to mix with these ones.

They are too small still, maybe in a couple of months time in the new year ;)
Still looking for some super reds to mix with these ones.

I might know a man, but he doesn't have the flash gear to send them in the post! o_O :crazy:

andyh said:
I might know a man, but he doesn't have the flash gear to send them in the post! o_O :crazy:
It doesn't take a lot, breathable bags from ebay, heat packs from ebay, rubber bands and some boxes, shed some paper, mix them all together and voila hehehe ;)

viktorlantos said:
if i would be a shrimp i would dream about a fisssidens bed like this :lol:
looks great! :thumbup:
Thanks Viktor :) I love the Fissidens, thinking about expanding it to the whole tank now that its about 2-3 inches deep.

Mark Webb said:
What a great batch, and nice shots too :thumbup:
How many shrimps did you start with?
Thanks Mark, I started with about 20 shrimp, but I have sold/given away about 400-500 so far! LOL
This are my latest selective breeding batch to try and get nicer colours.

well i have just read your journal from start to finish.

tank looks great and so do the shrimp.

hopefully setting up my own shrimp tank soon and would be over the moon if its as good as this one!!

flyer2308 said:
well i have just read your journal from start to finish.
tank looks great and so do the shrimp.
hopefully setting up my own shrimp tank soon and would be over the moon if its as good as this one!!
Glad you enjoyed the rollercoaster ride ;) and I am sure you will do just fine :)
Welcome to UKAPS :)

Hi,
Lot's of people have told me that fisssidens fontanus grows slowly and vertically towards the light, and it can easily get 'algaetic'. Is that true? In your tank it is really nice, it makes a beautiful carpet, that's why I ask you. ;)
Thanks!

peti44 said:
Hi,
Lot's of people have told me that fisssidens fontanus grows slowly and vertically towards the light, and it can easily get 'algaetic'. Is that true? In your tank it is really nice, it makes a beautiful carpet, that's why I ask you. ;)
Thanks!
Missed this one sorry, just keep plenty of shrimp in the tank then you will never have an algae issue with it ;) Mine is about 3cm high now and no signs of any algae ;) But there are about 200-300 shrimp in the tank!

Speaking of shrimp, this morning there were about 20-30 crystal red and black shrimplets all over the place :)

Back