• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank - Juwel Rekord 60

LondonDragon said:
peti44 said:
Hi,
Lot's of people have told me that fisssidens fontanus grows slowly and vertically towards the light, and it can easily get 'algaetic'. Is that true? In your tank it is really nice, it makes a beautiful carpet, that's why I ask you. ;)
Thanks!
Missed this one sorry, just keep plenty of shrimp in the tank then you will never have an algae issue with it ;) Mine is about 3cm high now and no signs of any algae ;) But there are about 200-300 shrimp in the tank!

Speaking of shrimp, this morning there were about 20-30 crystal red and black shrimplets all over the place :)

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot. Maybe I'll give a shot to this plant. :)
By the way, your tank looks really great, if you have new pictures, I'd love to see them.:)

Haven't posted any photos of the shrimp in this tank for a while, here are some shots taken tonight:

A super red I picked up at Living Water on Saturdays Meet up (got 6 of these but 2 did not make the trip back home)

pict0022k.jpg

pict0040s.jpg

pict0026u.jpg

Photos of my Crystals offspring (some of the reds picked up at MA Morden also on Saturday):

pict0032b.jpg

pict0029d.jpg

pict0028k.jpg

pict0025g.jpg

pict0016rx.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Attachments

• pict0040s.jpg
    pict0040s.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 130
  • pict0026u.jpg
    pict0026u.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 138
  • pict0032b.jpg
    pict0032b.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 136
  • pict0029d.jpg
    pict0029d.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 136
  • pict0028k.jpg
    pict0028k.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 121
  • pict0025g.jpg
    pict0025g.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 139
  • pict0016rx.jpg
    pict0016rx.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 121
SteveUK said:
Great photos as always mate. Would love some of the offspring of those super reds ;)
Thanks Steve, think it will be a while before we start seeing some of those ;) fingers crossed! My Crystals have finally decided to breed so should have some of those soon it all goes to plan, very slow to build up a decent population, nothing like cherries!!

Jase said:
Crackin' photos Paulo , gorgeous Super Reds, I just can't get close enough to get some snaps of my 'Super Reds'
Thanks, you will need to use the macro mode of the camera or on a DSLR a proper macro lens ;) I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8, nice red you posted also, wanna swap some?

CeeJay said:
Hey LD
Great shrimp photos.
Their home looks pretty cool too :D
Is that Fissidens on the floor of the tank?
Thanks Chris, yep thats a Fissidens carpet, the only one I have seen yet haha I just trimmed the 3cm high Fissidens and expanded the carpet which is looking pretty crap at the moment until it grows back, but once it does I will have the whole front of the tank covered in Fissidens.

I love shrimp so much. That very red one looks amazing. Are you still aiming for are more pure red strain?

FishBeast said:
I love shrimp so much. That very red one looks amazing. Are you still aiming for are more pure red strain?
That is always the plan, but I think I need a couple of more tanks for that to work better so I can do more selective breeding, think I might get a couple more nanos to try that ;)

LondonDragon said:
Thanks, you will need to use the macro mode of the camera or on a DSLR a proper macro lens ;) I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8, nice red you posted also, wanna swap some?

That's taken with my Canon 400D with 50mm F1.8. I've been looking at getting the Tamron 90 for a while and I think you've made my mind up with those shots :clap: Is yours the new 'Di' version?

I will happily swap some with you once I have a few more, need to fill my 125l shrimp tank first :lol:

Jase said:
That's taken with my Canon 400D with 50mm F1.8. I've been looking at getting the Tamron 90 for a while and I think you've made my mind up with those shots :clap: Is yours the new 'Di' version?
I will happily swap some with you once I have a few more, need to fill my 125l shrimp tank first :lol:
Yes its the Di version, checking a recent photography magazine that compare 4 macro lenses, Tamron, Sigma, Canon and Nikon, the Tamron was the overall winner in terms of price and quality of photos, the only thing I don't like about it is that it sometimes wonders about while focusing, all my macros are manually focused.

Jase said:
Would it put you off buying it again? Perhaps using more light would counteract it?
Well I haven't tried the sigma one for my camera, but I have a Konica-Minolta, you do have the option of the Canon macro lens which will probably be more expensive but better suited to your camera.

What is that moss in the bottom left-hand corner of you shrimp tank? Spiky?

I must say, your tank looks incredible.

Btw, am now thoroughly worried as I have just set up a 60l with Amazonia II.Who would have thought that ADA would sell garbage? Terrified as to what will happen in 6months...

frothhelmet said:
What is that moss in the bottom left-hand corner of you shrimp tank? Spiky?
From which photo? The tank has changed so many times lol

frothhelmet said:
I must say, your tank looks incredible.
Many thanks :)

frothhelmet said:
Btw, am now thoroughly worried as I have just set up a 60l with Amazonia II.Who would have thought that ADA would sell garbage? Terrified as to what will happen in 6months...
It will turn to mud and you will need to replace it ;) good luck

Well have some news about the Naturesoil in the tank, after using for a few months since I swapped the Amazonia II, it is also turning to mud and making my tank cloudy :( so looks like I will have to replace it again. Also since the water has become a little cloudy I have lost all my Crystals both red and black :(

Time to start all over again :( I was going to try Flora-Base next but since that is smilar to Nature soil I am going to give it a miss, I am going to order some Shirakura Red Bee Sand instead for this tank and rescape it once again!

Sad to hear you lost all those beautiful shrimp. Experience from others have shown that Amazonia I crumbles a lot less than Amazonia II, and there's quite a big demand here these days. A new scape is always good!

How are you this unlucky with substrate?! I've never had any issues with ADA and I've heard nothing but good things about Oliver knotts stuff. :S

Back