• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Salts for Neocaridina Shrimp & are these Shrimp known as "Cherry Shrimp"

jaisol

I'm curious, if they need £40 "salts", I have a big tub of Shrimp King "shrimp salt .. GH+ / KH+" and a little curious.
On reading - MgSO4 & CaSO4 in a 3 to 1 ratio is basically all that is required at about 1g per 10l.
This makes me think, if I use aged tap water and add the above 2 salts then the shrimp should do well.
A second thought was why not use carbonates as they will dissolve easily.

I drift - my understanding of chemistry is that salts that dissolve form an invisible suspension of the ion (metal, in this case Ca and Mg) and the cation (SO4) and they float about in the water separately only joining back together as crystals when the water boils/ evaporates. I MAY BE WRONG!!!! I did chemistry when I was 15 now 60... so maybe VERY wrong.
If something "grabs" the ions Ca /Mg then the water would tend to become acidic, H2SO4, and the spare O2 from the water would vent off, or be used elsewhere.
Then you have "fertilisers" so many ions & cations... I think it is best scratch my head, look at fish and plants if they look ok.

You don't need expensive salts. Considering the cherry shrimps only, you just need CaSO4 and MgSO4 to target ~27 ppm of Ca and ~9 ppm of Mg - this will yield a GH of ~6.0. The amount you need to add depends of course on the constituent of your tap water - its far easier to dose if you use RO water - if not you need to measure your GH and help from a reliable water report to make sure especially your Mg levels are not very low.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back