• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp noob advice

idris

I've always had Amano shrimp in my 250L tank and they some of my favourite inhabitants, so I'm wondering about getting some a colourful variety a well.

After a rescape, the tank is moderately well planted: (Amazon Swords, Anubis Barteri, Wysteria, C. Balansae, Eleocharis Parvula and Java Moss. I'm not particularly expecting the latter two to do well with approx 100W of T5, but y'neva know!)

Current inhabitants are not a threat, (Ottos, Neons and Amanos). I'm contemplating Kuhlis and maybe Betas (one male + 2 or 3 females). And long term I'd like to try Killis again.

I've recently switched to using rainwater, as our tap water is granite hard.

Does this sound viable for Cherries, Bumblebees, Tigers etc, and what size population would you start with if the aim is self sustaining colony?

Also, in a 250L tank, how important would it be to have something like a pre-filter sponge on the filter intake?

Cherries should be fine, they do well in most water, they do require more minerals than bee shrimp.

Kuhlis and bettas will eat young shrimp (i have had a betta eat adult cherry shrimp), neons and pretty much any other fish will also eat babies.

In a decently planted setup, some babies will be able to hide and survive.

A prefilter will be helpful to stop your filter from hoovering up any babies.

I can live with The Circle Of Life operating in my tank, as long as it's not a net population loss. (In my first tank with Swordtails, a huge majority of fry were predated by the parent fish!)

So given adequate (if not perfect) habitat, what would be a good minimum number of adults to start with?
And are there any easy to grow plants (other than mosses) that make good sanctuary for fry?

I can live with The Circle Of Life operating in my tank, as long as it's not a net population loss. (In my first tank with Swordtails, a huge majority of fry were predated by the parent fish!)

So given adequate (if not perfect) habitat, what would be a good minimum number of adults to start with?
And are there any easy to grow plants (other than mosses) that make good sanctuary for fry?
The larger the number the better, but i would say at least 20.

Java ferns, anubias, buce etc are all easy growers.

Shrimp like stuff they can hide in, so moss is always a winner, along with any compact bushy shrubs. WRT volumes as Nick says, 20 is a sure thing. You can probably go as low as half a dozen so long as you have a mix of males and females, but it might take them longer to settle in and start breeding. And I would suggest you let them start breeding and establish a colony before adding the less shrimp-friendly fish.

Cheers,
Simon

Back