• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp dying

Hi can anybody please suggest why my shrimp are dying. I’m finding a couple almost on a daily basis. Small nano cube tank 20 litres. Regular weekly water changes about 75% although even before a change all water parameters are acceptable. I have 11 chilli rasbora in the tank that are healthy and unaffected. I feed the shrimp about once a week, I drop in a tab for them but there is a small amount of algae that they graze on too. I use water with a TDS of about 220, our tap water is very hard so I cut it with RO water. Only started happening in the last couple of months and nothing changed in my routine.
just wondered if it’s happened to anybody else and welcome any suggestions.
8841C34E-F592-46C5-BCDA-14F96839E49F.jpeg

Sorry for the loss! What type of shrimps? What other parameters do you know about the water (besides TDS) ? What tabs are you feeding them?

Cheers,
Michael

Just your average cherry shrimp. nothing expensive. I feed them nanovit tablets. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all very low all the time basically. PH is around 7.6 most of the time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
No expert, but how old are they? I see the occasional fatality (I’m sure there are those that die and get eaten without being spotted) and it’s often the big ones which I assume have reached the end of their natural life?

Just your average cherry shrimp. nothing expensive. I feed them nanovit tablets. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all very low all the time basically. PH is around 7.6 most of the time.

What are you dosing for fertilizer? Could it be copper buildup (inverts are super sensitive to Cu as you probably know) ? Do you have enough Calcium/Magnesium in your RO mix? what do you use for remineralization. Whats the ppm out of the RO system? Do you dechlorinate the RO water?

Shrimps dont care about elevated nitrate levels (unless mine are an exception) ... Ammonia/Nitrite will kill anything, as we all know...

For now, let's disregard the Nanovit poisoning the shrimps - which is an obvious possibility. Starvation is another; feeding only once a week sounds a little lean. Of course, all depends on food amount, number and size of those shrimps.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back