• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp and filters

GraemeVW

Pretty basic shrimp keeping questions!

I got my first freshwater shrimp this week. One of the females was berried, and I can see eyes in the eggs!

I wasn't very prepared for this so rather than put them in my main tank, they are in my quarantine tank.
However, I've already had to retrieve one sub adult shrimp from the eheim internal filter.
The main tank has a jbl e1502.

So, 2 part question, how can I stop even baby shrimp from being drawn into the jbl canister filter (are the stainless mesh guards fine enough?) Without risking flow restriction with it getting blocked. I have alot of cabomba in that tank so small bits of plant are a regular floating hazzard.
Secondly, I doubt there is much I can do for the eheim internal filter, so I guess I'll have to keep fishing the shrimp out. I imagine the babies will spend alot of time in it! Will they be ok? It's been running for years so I guess there will be a fair bit of food for them in there, and as long as they don't make it through the foam to the impeller, they should be pretty safe right?

That's assuming the neons and the corys don't eat the babies!
Thanks.

Without risking flow restriction with it getting blocked. I have alot of cabomba in that tank so small bits of plant are a regular floating hazzard.
How about a course (fine enough for shrimp to stay out) intake sponge? Just clean it every week and your filter will stay remarkably cleaner as well.

How about a course (fine enough for shrimp to stay out) intake sponge? Just clean it every week and your filter will stay remarkably cleaner as well.
The filter intake is reasonably hidden, would be awkward to get at regularly.
I've a feeling I may need to alter that situation no matter what solution I try though.

no matter what solution I try though.
Yes, especially if you go the stainless steel route. Those will clog even faster! Might want to move it to a easily accessible place.

I always use these on my filter intakes:

Amazon product ASIN B07PPNW7QS
And this is a good mesh for applying to anything else (I use loads of it) - the idea being you would line the inside of the intake grille on the internal filter:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
3 times today I've had to retrieve shrimp from inside this eheim pickup 160!

Not sure this filter will be modifiable either. Tempted to drill holes in it so they can find their own way out!

Not sure this filter will be modifiable either. Tempted to drill holes in it so they can find their own way out!
This will work. The Shrimphaus I run doesn't have a filter, but it has a pump to recirculate the water and of very rare occasion shrimp seem to have gone on the flume ride and come out the other side unscathed.

There are only 4 in this tank right now, 3 females (one berried) and 1 male.
All 4 were in the filter this morning 🙄
Might just put the whole filter in a net bag for now.

What’s the purpose of the internal filter given you have an external on the tank also?

What’s the purpose of the internal filter given you have an external on the tank also?

Sorry, misleading. There are 2 tanks. The tank with the internal is my quarantine tank. These 4 are in here for now to try and raise a few more shrimp.
The excess males are in my main tank, with the external filter. They will all end up in there eventually but there are some tetras in there which will eat the babies.

Back