• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should my cannister filter be this noisy?

Tiber

Is this sort of noise normal for a Cannister filter? Maybe I should just learn to live with it, but I admit it's really annoying me. Its a Fluval 407

Its like a constant vibration/rattling noise. Never had a cannister before, not sure if this is just how they are or if its the impeller/air getting into the system. There is lots of little air bubbles around the tank, but I assumed this is just because I only added water yesterday.

This is my first cannister filter and honestly? I hate it, its like having a dishwasher in my living room. Though the flow seems fine

Not had this model before, but my previous Fluvals were all pretty quiet. Have you tried pulling the impeller out to check there is nothing in the chamber? It sound mechanical more than anything from that video. Impeller might be seated wrongly, so maybe try taking it out and placing it in again. Also try tipping the canister on an angle as this would help expel any trapped air.

Not had this model before, but my previous Fluvals were all pretty quiet. Have you tried pulling the impeller out to check there is nothing in the chamber? It sound mechanical more than anything from that video. Impeller might be seated wrongly, so maybe try taking it out and placing it in again. Also try tipping the canister on an angle as this would help expel any trapped air.

Yea I have taken the impeller out, it looks fine. The filter isn't brand new, it came with my used tank, but it's only about a year old and is spotlessly clean, not a mark or scratch on it.

I have tried tipping it after reading through some of the precious threads on here. Didn't make much difference, the filter occasionally makes a flushing noise.

I honestly can't stand the noise and even though it's probably just trapped air and nothing dangerous, I have a constant feeling it's going to flood the house or something.

A fluval u4 internal filter isn't much more expensive than the impeller replacement pack Fluval sell. Honestly tempted to go buy one in Pets at Home tomorrow. Was pretty excited about having a cannister filter, typical mine has to have an issue

It is bad luck. Trouble is, once you notice a noise eand it begins to annoy you it's difficult to zone it out isn't it.

I know a fishtank is always going to make some noise, but you can hear this from the hall with the door closed. Genuinely reminds me a dishwasher, maybe it really is harmless and I would eventually get used to it, but I do find an electric ratting noise from a big box of water in my living room rather unerving.

I tried cleaning out the impeller, even removed most of the media from the filter so there was nowhere for air to be trapped, made no difference. Tried to reprime it, and have also rocked it repeatedly while the power was on. None of it changed much. There are a few 1* reviews on Amazon which have videos of 307 and 407 cannisters making exactly the same noises as mine.

I could buy the £33 pack with a new o-ring and impeller which may or may not fix it, or I could just bite the bullet and buy the U4 - I'm sure an internal filter would be fine in a 190l tank.

Dont sound too bad.

I thought they were supposed to be near silent? You can hear this over the TV at times, but I suppose maybe some are just noisy?

Though if I think I could live with the noise (it's a good filter) if I was sure it didn't mean the motor etc had any reliability issues that would cause serious problems. Because of the unusual noises its making I keep checking it because I'm half expecting it to break down or start leaking

Last edited:
I don’t know what other peoples experiences are but that noise would drive me insane. I totally couldn’t live with it.

It might be worth the money to invest in a new one. Peace of mind….and a more peaceful space!?

I don’t know what other peoples experiences are but that noise would drive me insane. I totally couldn’t live with it.

It might be worth the money to invest in a new one. Peace of mind….and a more peaceful space!?

A new 407 would cost almost £200 which I wouldn't be willing to spend, though it's a bigger filter than my tank really needs anyway. A decent internal filter at 40 or 50 quid would be a viable option though.

I always wanted to have a cannister filter....but maybe not this one.

I thought they were supposed to be near silent? You can hear this over the TV at times, but I suppose maybe some are just noisy?
My hearing is not as good as it used to be so maybe its chugging away like an old tractor for all i know LOL.

Why are you so set on a canister filter anyways. There are other maybe better options available. Cant remember who it was on the forum who said a canister filter is just a pump in a box.

My hearing is not as good as it used to be so maybe its chugging away like an old tractor for all i know LOL.

Why are you so set on a canister filter anyways. There are other maybe better options available. Cant remember who it was on the forum who said a canister filter is just a pump in a box.
Well I'm not set on one, this one came with the tank. I guess I'd always read online that Cannister was the 'proper' setup

i have a 307 and 407, both are quiet. the 407, with a bigger motor generates a tiny bit more 'sound' than the 307, but not noticeable inside a cabinet. My 307 is about a year old and my 407 is 9 months.

i have a 307 and 407, both are quiet. the 407, with a bigger motor generates a tiny bit more 'sound' than the 307, but not noticeable inside a cabinet. My 307 is about a year old and my 407 is 9 months.

Thanks. I can hear this from the hall with the living room door closed nevermind the cabinet door, so it definitely isn't normal for a 407.

If I knew an impeller would fix it I would buy one, but reluctant to to spend £33 if there is a good chance it will change nothing

Speak to fluval. Or speak with who ever sold you the filter. I get it, £30 can seem steep but as I see it, even out of warranty fluval should help or you can say you were sold a dud. You could even take it to a shop, I had a eheim that I just couldnt get to go quiet. My fish shop man messed with it for 10 minutes made me a coffee put a couple of o rings and some magic in and it was silent until I sold it.

air getting into the system. There is lots of little air bubbles around the tank
the filter occasionally makes a flushing noise
Sounds to me like trapped air, my 2180 occasionally makes a similar noise for a couple of hours after being serviced and having a new polishing filter fitted.
From the description above it could also possibly be sucking in air, you're not stifling the inlet by any chance creating a vacuum (for want of a better word)?
It really pays to get to know your filter well and if it is second hand it may just require all the seals to be lightly silicone greased and ensuring the seats are free from any crud.
Cheers!

Back