• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I occasionally change the position of my hang on filter?

CheckeredRust

Hi all, I'm running a small 5.5g / 21l tank. Due to the size of it, my hang on back filter can only be positioned either at the left or right corner of the tank, because the opposing side will be used for a cooler fan. I realized that visibly, only the side of the tank where the filter is, the water flow is strong, the plants near there are moving and swaying, whereas the other side of the tank, the plants are perfectly still.

Is it beneficial for me to shift the filter to sort of have an equal circulation? Like maybe once a week when doing WC I'll swap the position of the fan and the filter.

Changing the placement of the filter every once in a while will not solve the problem. You need to find a permanent location for the filter that creates complete circulation. This should be easy to achieve on a small 21 Liter tank unless the filter is severely underpowered or you have a massive amount of hardscape interfering with the flow. Have you tried adjusting the outflow pipe? You can always considering upgrading to a more powerful hang-on-back filter - these are relatively cheap for small aquariums.

Ideally the position of the hang on back filter is in the middle of the side panel, with the mouth of the filter below the water level curved like a J and not a I. You want the water to flow in a motion like this
7ADC358B-E8AD-49ED-8027-6B4692EAF1E0.jpeg

But it sounds like you’re getting a motion more like this
687EC234-B674-4288-AA24-84D87F6D10C5.jpeg

Flow is more important in an aquarium with CO2 injection, but it always plays a role. If you can’t get enough flow with the suggestions made, then I’d buy a bigger filter.

Attachments

• 617F20D6-9987-4D3D-BE91-0746C481D6C7.jpeg
    617F20D6-9987-4D3D-BE91-0746C481D6C7.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 81
Ideally the position of the hang on back filter is in the middle of the side panel, with the mouth of the filter below the water level curved like a J and not a I. You want the water to flow in a motion like this
View attachment 171151

But it sounds like you’re getting a motion more like this
View attachment 171152

Flow is more important in an aquarium with CO2 injection, but it always plays a role. If you can’t get enough flow with the suggestions made, then I’d buy a bigger filter.
Thanks, I have adjusted it the side panel, and it seems like the small particles actually circulates the whole cycle as compared to hanging at the main panel.

Back