• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shooting Panoramic Shots

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi folks, i have to go out for wok on Sunday and photograph some massive factories. I can't shoot them in one shot so i was wondering if there are any tips for doing it. I can and will stitch them all together in PS but i am looking for tips that will minimise post processing.
I'll be using a 350d (unless my 50D turns up) with a sigma 18-55, or a nifty fifty, or a 55-200. I'm thinking nifty fifty but would like some reassurance. I have nothing else to use sadly.
Any thoughts would be great.

Hey Dan

Sounds like fun :D

A couple of tips that spring to mind...

-Aim for a minimum overlap of 50% between frames
-Get the camera absolutely level before you start
-Use the lightmeter in the camera to work out your average exposure across the pano, then set everything to manual and shoot with that exposure ( manual includes aperture, shutter speed, focus, ISO, white balance ).
- Ideally you want the centre of the tripod (which forms the centre of your rotation) to be directly below the iris of the lens. This will give you the cleanest stitch, but you will need an offset head for the tripod :rolleyes:
- If the buildings are tall, shoot in portrait format to give one strip of exposures.

Of all the above, the manual settings are the most vital. The other bits will each give you a better stitch, and will give the processor less to do, but you'll get by without them ;)

Good luck !

Tony

Back