• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shelldwellers

Fiske

Not really suitable for the journal forum, so thought I'd post this here.

After ending Anabantoidiot in pure disaster, I spent some days feeling stupid and remorseful. Then I got to think about the time several years ago (17-18+), when I had a small group of Neolamprologus brevis. I've been thinking about shelldwellers a bit since I started having tanks again, and decided to go for it.

Gravel, rocks, a few Microsorum, heater, internal filter, add water and a small group of N. multifasciatus:

They started breeding after about 1 month. It was fun counting up: 1 female with fry, 2 females with fry, 3 females with fry... etc.

Now there's 5 females with fry, so mr. Multi has been quite busy, I suspect he is going for seconds now :O
Already thinking about upgrading to a larger Tanganyika tank with shelldwellers, and probably some Julidochromis...

Last edited:
Have you thought about a group of Neolamprologus brichardi

I have considered them, although they should be quite aggressive. I have also considered N. leleupi, those would probably be well received by SWMBO.

Thing is, I've always had a soft spot for julies; although I've never kept them, I've wanted to for a long time.
Anyway, it will probably be a while before I get a larger tank for tanganyikas; currently looking at my options for a larger planted tank first.

Anyway, I got an external filter (Eheim experience 250) for this tank a couple of days ago, really needed something more effective than a puny internal. Cichlids are dirty, dirty fish :D

Nice to see. I've always had a soft spot for she'll dwellers. Kept N leleupi with Julidochromis regani (which recently died after 12-13 years or so).

Bit of an update... I had to change the T8 tube because the old one (which I bought back in the late '90s) finally gave up.
Maybe not too obvious on the video, but it looks like some of the fry has grouped up, or maybe there's some new spawn between them. The older ones seem to be growing well. It looks like these guys insist on a bigger tank.

This video is rated NC-17 for plant lovers and algae haters.

From 7th of january so about 2 weeks old. I have even more fry now, a quick estimate is somewhere in the vicinity of a 100 fish. In a 54 l...
Anyway, all is good and all fish healthy, even the ones that snuck into the filter. By far the ugliest of my 3 tanks, and by far the one with most entertainment.

Been quite a while; also my phone cam was on the fritz so that also dampened the updates. Got a new one though, and thought I'd document my amazing algae growth.

... And also the progress on my fry. Here's some feeding frenzy:

(Daughter is watching crime show in background so skip audio)

They need new homes soon I guess.

Shellies have always been on my list for some time... It would be so perfect for an office tank. Lower maintenance with plenty of excitement for the folks to watch!!!

I've been wondering about these, but they seem to breed extremely readily - how difficult is it rehoming the offspring - will LFS take them?

I've been wondering about these, but they seem to breed extremely readily - how difficult is it rehoming the offspring - will LFS take them?
Mine was, according to the LFS, from someone breeding them, I guess he unloaded a bunch in return for a can of fishfood or smth. I hope to do someting similar. Their spawning seem to have slowed down lately, or maybe they do eat a few fry when it gets crowded.
Hi all,Lovely tank, I really like the red Red Algae. There is a Red algae that grows in Lake Tanganyika on the shell beds, Boldia erythrosiphon, but I don't know what it looks like.

Thanks. It is possible to find a few videos of their natural habitat (which is rather deep; app. 8-10 meters I believe). My algae are probably more true to the biotope than the Microsorum, so there's that.
Once juvies get more bold, they seem to like foraging in the algae jungle.

Apparently some of the juveniles didn't get the memo saying "don't eat your siblings". Greed is bad, mkay:

2018-04-27%2020.53.36.jpg

Found this guy the other day, choked to death on his little sister.

This thread inspired me to buy a m/f pair of lamprologus ocellatus. They're in quarantine at the moment, but feeding well and looking like lovely fish.

This thread inspired me to buy a m/f pair of lamprologus ocellatus. They're in quarantine at the moment, but feeding well and looking like lovely fish.

Sorry to highjack the thread a little but can I ask where you got them as I'm in Norwich and wouldn't mind a new project.

Back