• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shell dweller questions (Lamprologus multifasciatus)

Jules vH

I want to set up a lamprologus multifasciatus tank and have some pool filter sand laying around. The grain size is between 0,71mm and 1,25mm. Would that size be appropriate for multis or do they need finer sand?

And can some snails be added or will they be harassed by the shell dwellers? Thinking about adding some trumpet snails to sift tru the sand a bit or maybe some bigger snails for a bit of glass cleaning.

They have quite big mouths so I don't see a problem with using that sand. A few people I know that kept them used much coarser coral sand and they did fine. I've kept the similar L. ocellatus on 1mm sand without issue.

As for the trumpet snails, again I don't think they would be an issue but they might get moved around. I'm not sure about larger snails however as I've never come across people mixing them.

I've kept/spawned multifasciatus, snails the small kind didn't survive too long. Trumpet snails might be OK. Sand grain is fine, as mort says, they've got fairly large mouths.

Make sure tank is fully cycled as they're very sensitive to deteriorating water quality.

Hi all,
Trumpet snails might be OK.
I'm pretty sure they are OK with Neolamprologus multifasciatus.
Make sure tank is fully cycled as they're very sensitive to deteriorating water quality.
I'd definitely keep all Tanganyikan Cichlids in tanks with very efficient biological filtration. You can use floating plants, <"sub-surface floaters"> and plants like Vallisneria etc protected by rounded cobbles.

I'm a great fan of planted trickle filters, but you may struggle with really hard water, because of the increased calcium carbonate scale deposition in the Hydroleca etc.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for your awnsers all.
I have an Aquael 30l running with a thick layer of the above sand, some dragonstone and floaters in it to get some bacteria into the sand and into the hob. I squeezed out a sponge from my blackwater tank in this one already a few times to get things going.
I know the dragonstone isnt biotope accurate, but had them laying around and I think it looks great with the escargot shells (kinda the same color)
40 escargot shells are on its way.

Thinking about getting a superfish scaper 90 and transfer the sand into it. The seeded hob with a bunch of filtermedia and one extra hob with a bunch of pothos in it for some extra filtration. Then waiting to mature the tank even more with some trumpet snails in it.

My PH is around 7 from the tap.
I have a mixture of the above mentioned pool filter sand and aragonite sand in it.
Ph is now at 8.15 and TDS at 260

20 Escargot shells are already in.
I put the new HOB in another tank for a week to help kickstart the bacteria on the new filter media. Putting tiny bits of food in the new aquarium once a day.
Also a photos plant has its roots into the tank and a few limnobium laevigatum. Both from another aquarium.

Now letting the tank mature for at least another month before adding the multies. I am thinking about replacing 10% of the filter media with established media just before the shell dwellers go into their tank.

Back