• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shake to start Gravel cleaner

How do these shake to start gravel cleaners work? I’ve got some materials so would like to make one for my Nano’s.

I have one from Dennerle that has two plastic flaps doing exactly what BarryH said. It takes a bit of practice to learn how to start the flow. It's not that bad but if you manage to suck up sand, you'll need to clean the flaps before a re-start. Any stuck particles will prevent the flaps to fully close and the air/water can return freely. 😒

How do these shake to start gravel cleaners work? I’ve got some materials so would like to make one for my Nano’s.
I don't rate them, I always seemed to make a mess of the sand/soil with them when starting.
Just my experience of them.

I far prefer either a simple siphon one or a piece of hose already filled with water so the siphon action can start straight away (I hop this makes sense?)
I also play around a lot with hozelock type hoses and fittings to add in connections and control on/off actions.

Back