• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Setting up.....

Rachel Essex

.......hello, I'm in the process of getting my tank ready to set up. I have a few questions. I am not new to keeping aquariums but I want to do this the best way I can.

Firstly I need to calculate the amount of substrate I need. It's a large tank, 122cm long 76cm front to back. Can anyone help with this, and recommend somewhere which sells Tropica at a good price. I fear it will be much expense! Oh, and nice sized bog wood/decorative wood.

Secondly do people run carbon and or UV??

Best filter media for my sump. I'm planning on foam/floss first compartment, followed by bio media of some sort in the middle compartment. What is best, I've not kept freshies for years! Third is for return and maybe best place for co2?? Is co2 best added inline with return? Heater will be in first compartment. Top next to sump.

Also do most people use DI water plus tap.....50/50?? Aiming for slightly acid water.

co2, is this best run with a ph controller?? Whats a good brand to go for?

If I could get any pointers on any of my questions in my head right now I'd be very appreciative .

Out of interest is anyone running Hydra 52's??

Thank you so much.

Hi, interesting tank dimensions.

Tropica soil is much the same price wherever ive seen it. If you wanted to save money you could use aquatic compost instead, but that will limit the style/type of scape you can create to some extent.

Vert few people run UV, and carbon just if and when required.

Sump bio media can be just about anything, from expensive stuff like siporax or seachem matrix to expanded clay pebbles from the garden centre (which i use). General view is it makes limited difference.

I put my co2 line directly into my return pump inlet, no diffuser of any type. The return pipe acts like a reactor and i get a fine mist.

Water depends on what you have in your tap. I have soft water and use it straight from the tap.

Some use a ph controller but i think its a minority on here. Solenoid is all you need. On 2hrs before lights on, off 1hr before lights off is the rule of thumb.

K

I use a pH controller but there is no need for one and the controllor does still yeild fluctuating pH 0.1pH.
Better to invest in a decent pH pen/probe IMO/IME.
Aim for a stable pH from lights till CO2 off. As for CO2 off time as Clive says after 4-5 hours your plants will have had their fill of CO2 and Light so consentrat on stable pH/[CO2] for that period.
Flow/turnover in a high tech tank is KING so most folk aim/advise a X10 tank size to filter/powerhead output. More critical in deep tanks with carpets

If your raising the back could save on soil by filling some tights with lava rock this will help with bio filtration too

I dont run either Carbon or UV in my filter a twinstar reactor in tank to help sterilization of the water and provide o2 carbon is believed to hold and deplete nutrients

And I think aquarium gardens is the best place for hard scape if you cant get to them I'm sure if you give them a call they will help you

I am using both the Tropica soil and the substrate, with a lot of aquatic compost underneath at the moment. No UV or activated carbon in my tanks. My favourite filter media is perlite. CO2 is best added to the return pipe. In Bucks I know that many people use DI water, but I don't bother - it depends on whether you need it I guess. I don't bother with a pH controller - that sounds like a fun idea, but I wouldn't need one.

Hi K,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yeh, I'm not keen on aquatic soil, would need capping and would cause issues I think .Just doesnt seem like a good option to me.

Expanded clay pebbles? Are they garden media then? Sounds like a good option, thank you.

How do you add to the return? do you use a non return valve?

We are hard water here, I need to mix a small bit up and see what I get but I only have high range PH kit atm! (x reefer)

Thanks for the replies guys. It all helps in getting it right and nice to hear little tricks.

Yeh I do want to raise one corner up, so that's a good idea using lava rock, thanks.

Simon, I'd like to keep more softer water loving plants and fish so DI and tap is probably going to be better for me.

Just had a quick look at Aquarium Gardens, perfect, just what I need, many thanks for that!

I thought so!

+1 on Aquarium gardens
How much substrate will depend on the kind of layout you have in mind (slopes etc)

Hydra 52's
You might find you can tune the colours enough but they're probably a little blue still; maybe have a play with no substrate just some water and add a few plants in pots to see?
Having the depth (front to back) of 76cm is one of those measurements which is a bit of a pain - most lights cover footprints upto 60cm; unsure which way you have your Hydras around or the lens.
122 x 76cm (WxD) do you have height?

If you're really struck on keeping your setup there's nothing wrong with that by a long way but you might find it value for money long term looking at a new aquarium with more 'light friendly' dimensions and maybe even running a canister filter(s) as people say sumps are very unhealthy for CO2 consumption - a silly suggestion maybe but just one that popped into my head.

I do think sumps give you much more friendly looking tanks where you can hide stuff but unsure they're the right choice for high tech.

If you have an RO/DI unit, aren't on a water meter and are happy with the extra hassle then that's your choice but I don't think you will find too many people doing so without certain fish or shrimp. My water is really hard and I've not had problems as many people here do.

Running Carbon in a reactor will do no harm, I do in my filter although many people don't. Purigen is also a product looked at similar to carbon which you can recharge.
UV doesn't seem common place but there are people who do.

Filter media is a minefield, everyone having opinion and I think the short is anything will work.

Looking back it looks very negative what I've said but that's not my intention. :)
Andrew

Thanks so much for all your replies! I really appreciate them. After calculating the amount of substrate I'll need I think I may go with a mix of substrates to reduce costs. I'm very committed to using the set up I have as it's a great space, but I do appreciate the difficulty in lighting and costs!

I have a freshwater spectrum set up suggested by a guy at DD, I'm going to try that and see what its like, but I may still sell my hydras and buy a purpose build light unit....whats good for a 4 footer? I feel I may be making a compromise trying to use the hydras when lighting is very important!

Height of tank is 61cm.

For substrate, use cheap fill material to raise height, then add Aquarium Soil only in areas where you intend to plant
(you can add more later but it requires some planning & effort)

Use the larger particle AS for base, then top with the Powder version for easier planting and denser carpet

You can also use substrate media such as Tropica Growth Substrate topped with suitable fine gravels
Tropica Inspiration Page has many examples of this style
https://tropica.com/en/inspiration/

Hydra’s looking fine on this tank ;)

Filipe Oliveira has set up several large Aquariums with the Hydra 52’s

and he’s at AG August 31 for Aquascaping Workshop
I’m sure he would be happy to discuss light setup with you

Ah, that is great to see! Would be interesting to know the light set up. Thank you :)

Thanks so much for all your replies! I really appreciate them. After calculating the amount of substrate I'll need I think I may go with a mix of substrates to reduce costs. I'm very committed to using the set up I have as it's a great space, but I do appreciate the difficulty in lighting and costs!

I have a freshwater spectrum set up suggested by a guy at DD, I'm going to try that and see what its like, but I may still sell my hydras and buy a purpose build light unit....whats good for a 4 footer? I feel I may be making a compromise trying to use the hydras when lighting is very important!

Height of tank is 61cm.
Some people just use inert gravels, lava rock or products like JBL volcano mineral to bulk space out, the latter not really being much cheaper but good if you want to add slopes.
You can put these types of product in media bags or some people use their Mrs' old tights I've seen. :nailbiting:
As for lighting if you can get the Hydras to work then great, nothing ventured and all that.
I imagine it's Tony or Stuart you spoke to and I'm sure one of them used Vegas on a planted aquarium a few years back so they should know.
If not and Filipe is then an answer from him is sure to help.
If they don't work out maybe look at Pacific Sun although you might find they need to be hybrids to get the width so add a few T5's on - they will make you a custom LED board if you tell them what colours you want as they do them in house. ;)

Thanks Andrew. I'm planning a mixed substrate now, I have a good idea on the scape I want and bulking out will be a great help in achieving my goal!
Yes, it was Tony, he's helped me no end in the past. Its ball park figures so if I could ever get in touch with Filipe and tweak them some more I'm pretty confident they will work. I'd rather stick with LEDS and not go back to T5's and the hassle of changing them etc! It's well worth a shot I think.
Interesting that they make a custom boards. Thank you.
lol's about the tights, I have used them often in the past, in filters etc - useful piece of kit IMO - always had to buy them though as I am not a tights wearer ;)

Back