• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

setting up cory tank

john dory

i`m thinking about setting up a low tech tank to house approx 6 peppered cory.
was just wondering what the minimum size would be.
i want to keep it simple,with just a few hardy plants,and a piece of bogwood.i realize i need a sand substrate,but can anyone recomend a specific type?
also..how would i go about starting it up?
would it be ok to plant it up and leave it running for a week or 2...before adding fish?
could i use some water from my main tank?
anything else i should know?
cheers

Running the tank empty would be good to let the plants root but it won't give you a cycled tank ready for fish. You can use water from your other tank but it won't be any benefit to starting with fresh. Running the new filter in your existing tank will help it build bacteria ready or you can nab media from your existing filter - you might know that already wasn't sure if you meant the running empty for the plants or the fishes benefit :)

I'm just wondering how to cycle the tank,as i work away all week

I'm just wondering how to cycle the tank,as i work away all week

what tam said. Swap some filter media from your old filter to your new. Alternatively, run your new filter in your big tank (alongside the normal filter) for a week or two and then swap it to the new tank and give it a week

I have a 2ft tank and decided against corys, I think they're a little big for a tank that size (considering you need a good number of them). Think they'd be happier in something 3ft long! I'll probably get some pygmy corys still, but they're more of a mid-level swimming fish

ok,thanks for your help.
i`ve just been down the lfs and come back with a juwel rekord 600.
sand is washed and in...as are the plants.bloke at the shop says run it for a week,and then put some sponge from my main filter in the tank along with 2 cory.
then add 2 more fish per week.
anyone care to comment on this?

There is many ways to cycle a tank,

Seeded media, nitrifying bacteria, adding ammonia, probably your best bet as your working all week, is to add seeded media, and leave it

ok,thanks for your help.
sand is washed and in...as are the plants.bloke at the shop says run it for a week,and then put some sponge from my main filter in the tank along with 2 cory.

I don't see how adding your seeded media a week into a cycle is going to benefit you, just add all seeded media, any plants you have, add everything, even some fish food, dead leaves, anything you can, and add some nitrifying bacteria, wait a week. You should be done

There is no point adding the bacteria and then waiting a week, with nothing to feed on the bacteria won't increase and a may well decrease.

You fish shop is suggesting a semi fish in cycle, not great for fish welfare.

How big/well stocked is you other tank? Taking a portion of media big enough to cope with six fish or running the filter in the old tank is best option. Then move it the same time you add the fish.

ok,thanks for your help.
Running the tank sans fish for the week allows the water to "age" - never a bad thing when setting up a brand new tank with new sand etc (if there is any residue from tank manufacture or sand, time is provided for these to dissipate, certainly the "smell" changes during that week), your lfs is being conservative. If you add sensitive fish or inverts to a tank set up yesterday, even with a sponge filter taken from another tank, you will observe signs of stress.
The shop bloke suggested adding the sponge from your main tank at the same time as the first 2 cory's so not sure why so many posters are implying that the bacteria will "starve" - again the shop is being conservative, even if you only have a few bacteria in that sponge, following the shop recommendations mean the fish will not be stressed, as time is always given for the N-cycle bacteria population to increase along with demand.
That first week also allows time for the plants to establish; note if tank is heavily planted & plants are actively growing (especially "fast" growers) when you add fish, it's possible that plants will consume any ammonia as its produced, so if you remove plants at some point or have significant plant loss/death, monitor for ammonia/nitrites & perform daily water changes.
As always, much depends on the sort of fish, the density of fish population, the water pH & temp ....

If you're able to monitor the tank & perform water changes as needed, then go ahead & add everything all in one go - this may work out very well or you may have some fish stress re ammonia/nitrite spikes - the shop is being conservative but is giving a formula that has almost zero chance of fish stress).

Even if you do add the sponge from your main tank & leave it some days without "food" from fish, those bacteria will be fine - they are not rapidly growing/metabolizing bacteria (as I recall the "doubling time" is ~ 72hours (pH ~ 7.0 & temp ~ 76F) ... it's been a long time since I read the papers) so they may lag a bit but none will "die", further any leaf melt from the plants will feed the N-cycle filter bacteria just fine.
What you never want to do is leave these type of bacteria submerged with no water movement for more than an hour or so, these bacteria are very sensitive to oxygen levels which are provided by the moving water, if you ever need to "store" your N-cycle bacteria, just remove from the system, rinse any debris (which feeds the other types of bacteria that also populate your filter), & keep damp, eg in plastic bags with a bit of water & lots of air, or in a canister filter with a couple cm's of water at the bottom & closed at the top except for the open inlet/outlet.
(obviously use tank water to treated tap)

Taking a portion of media big enough to cope with six fish
I'm quite curious now you determine this amount of media ;)

I'd agree with you with live plants, but I don't think the plastic ones mentioned will have the same benefits ;)

I guess soaking the tank for a week, then changing the water could have some benefit, but I'm not sure much over rinsing everything to start with. Unless you plan on anything that will leach. It's not going to help bacteria growth unless you put something in it to provide ammonia.

I'm quite curious now you determine this amount of media

By considering the tank it's coming from - that's why I asked size/stocking. If your other tank is 30l cube with a couple of shrimp, then taking some media will help seed the new tank but it's not going to be the same as taking media from a big well stocked tank. I'm not suggesting exact maths is possible but 1/10th the filter media from a tank with 60 fish is much more likely to give you all the bacteria you need than 1/10th the media from a tank with three shrimp :)

I'd agree with you with live plants, but I don't think the plastic ones mentioned will have the same benefits ;)
all my plants are real.
i`ve actually been keeping fish for close on 30 years now...but have never cycled a tank.
i was given a tank as a teenager,and every tank i had after that incorperated the hardware from the tank it replaced.
this is the first time i`ve had 2 tanks,and thus...the first time iv`e set up from scratch.
i read on another forum that one way to cycle a tank is to plant up from the start and let organic waste from the plants feed my "friendly" bacteria.

anyway,the lighting looks fairly bright to me,and as i`m only a reactor short of a complete co2 system,it looks like this tank will be high tech afterall:cool:

By considering the tank it's coming from - that's why I asked size/stocking. If your other tank is 30l cube with a couple of shrimp, then taking some media will help seed the new tank but it's not going to be the same as taking media from a big well stocked tank. I'm not suggesting exact maths is possible but 1/10th the filter media from a tank with 60 fish is much more likely to give you all the bacteria you need than 1/10th the media from a tank with three shrimp :)
:lol: I though maybe you had some tested formula worked out (or were plating out bacteria & doing counts)

I guess soaking the tank for a week, then changing the water could have some benefit, but I'm not sure much over rinsing everything to start with. Unless you plan on anything that will leach. It's not going to help bacteria growth unless you put something in it to provide ammonia.
It does actually - even in the absence of added ammonia, the "way back when" Hovanec experiments, measured the development of Nitrospira (& other bacteria) over time *in tanks that were "cycled" without additives) ... if you read the "Talking to Diana Walstad" thread, she summarizes fishless cycling, including some information on necessity of limiting ammonia & nitrites (as they also have inhibitory effects, as does high nitrate levels).

I'd have sworn I read 'plastic plants were in', don't know where I got that from!

Back