• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sera 130 External Filter

Have any of you tried one of these? After the disappointment of a recent noisy Eheim Classic I’m looking at the Sera but wondered how noisy it is?

I haven't used one but bear in mind that the Sera unit is just a re-branded Boyu EF which you can get for much less due to lack of brand name appeal.

I'm surprised you found the Eheim noisy though, I hear (no pun intended!) that they're meant to be one of the quietest canisters you can buy.

I realise that noise can be quite subjective, but the next step might perhaps be looking at a canister where the pump resides inside the aquarium? I've got a Sunsun 500 series (only 504 and 505 are available over here) where the pump sits inline on the intake and I've no idea it's on unless I press my ear to the glass. There's also the Aquael Mini, Midi and Maxi Kani range where do the same with the pump.

As I mentioned in another thread my old Eheim Classic from 25 years ago was virtually silent but the new one is rubbish. Quite what Eheim have done wrong is anyone’s guess. I’m currently running a Tetra external I bought about 7 years ago and that’s quite quiet.
I was thinking about the Sera as it has a built in UV option. I was also hoping spares like impellers and shafts may be more readily available than some of the other brands.

Got details on that?
- quartz sleeve specs
- lamp specs
- flow rate through UV chamber

Did you try a replacement Eheim Classic?
- the ones I got 2 years ago are quiet as ever

No, I’ve not looked at the specs on that yet. Still looking to find any reviews.

I contacted Eheim in Germany about the noise and they weren’t interested. The seller inspected the head and supplied what they said was a new impeller but that made no difference. I also contacted the importer and they pretty much implied I didn’t know what I was doing and it was trapped air. I never had any problem with my old Classic and I know what trapped air sounds like. It would have been nice if the importers offered to send me a new impeller and shaft but like Eheim Germany John Allan weren’t interested.

As I mentioned in another thread my old Eheim Classic from 25 years ago was virtually silent but the new one is rubbish. Quite what Eheim have done wrong is anyone’s guess. I’m currently running a Tetra external I bought about 7 years ago and that’s quite quiet.
I was thinking about the Sera as it has a built in UV option. I was also hoping spares like impellers and shafts may be more readily available than some of the other brands.

I believe the Boyu version with UV is the EFU, not sure if they're available over here though. There's someone selling BOYU DGN canisters on eBay at the moment, with built in UV and heater...Literally chucked my DGN this morning as the UV and heater circuitry had failed.

There's also the Sunsun/Allpondsolutions filters that have built in UV and are very quiet (I had two of the 2000lph versions). There's spare parts all over eBay or from All Pond Solutions.

Aqua One Ocellaris are also available with UV and again there's spare parts everywhere.

Back