• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Separating substrates

Andrew Butler

I'm looking to create something a bit similar to the photo below but with a continual border of sand along the front with a retaining shelf of stones with aquasoil behind at a higher level.

Is it a wise idea to use a strip of something like in the link below to keep the soil and sand separated?
https://www.homebase.co.uk/antinox-temporary-protection-black-2mm_p396649

tumblr_o39s6ffk7E1s3c1oao1_1280.jpg

I would be a bit dubious about what that plastic product could leach unwanted chemicals into the water column.
I have seen some aquarists use clear acrylic siliconed to the bottom of the aquarium but this can be hard to come by in small quantities and somewhat expensive. I have used slate in the past and even cut up strips of old condensation trays before now, which although it worked, I soon gave up on and like many people don't worry about separating the substrates.

I would be a bit dubious about what that plastic product could leach unwanted chemicals into the water column.
I have seen some aquarists use clear acrylic siliconed to the bottom of the aquarium but this can be hard to come by in small quantities and somewhat expensive. I have used slate in the past and even cut up strips of old condensation trays before now, which although it worked, I soon gave up on and like many people don't worry about separating the substrates.
I know it's safe to use- TGM sell it as substrate supports only at a highly inflated price and I believe awuarium gardens has used it in the past also.
It was more a question of practicality.
Looking now I think it would be several short pieces instead of one long.

Back