• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seneye Water Monitoring System

Bartash

Hi Everyone,

I little while ago I got sent a Seneye Reef device, this device is suitable to be used on planted tanks so don't focus on the "reef". Currently I have the device set up on my Tiger Shrimp tank and I have to admit it has saved the life of my shrimp several times.

reef2_1.jpg

In case any of you do not know the Seneye monitors:

Temperature
Constantly monitors water temperature, so you can get an alert if your heater breaks or your chiller fails

Free Ammonia
Monitors the highly toxic free ammonia (NH3) at very low levels, so you can stop your fish from dying from Ammonia positioning.

pH
The Seneye monitors pH in your aquarium or pond water between 6.4 and 9. This range is ideal for most aquatic life and by focusing on this range increased accuracy has be achieved.

Water Level
Readings are only taken when the Seneye device is in water, no false readings.

LUX
Monitors ambient LUX and can be used to take direct LUX readings, understand how your light degrade over time.

Kelvin
Understand where on the kelvin range your lights are and how light can change over time.

PAR
Monitor the Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR), understand if you have the correct quantity and quality of light for your corals or plants.

I was a little bit dubious when I first saw the device and thought why would people pay out this sort of money but boy was I wrong to think that.

The first time the Seneye device saved my shrimps lives was when I received a text message saying my temperature had dropped below the lower base limit I set. It turned out my heater had died and even though I had a glass thermometer in the tank I hardly ever check it. On countless number of occasions it has sent me messages and emails about my PH going dangerously high, thanks to keeping an eye on the readings I have now been able to get my PH stable.

Most people say you should throw away your test kits because they are inaccurate and I have to say I agree. With test kits that you have to use your eye to compare fluid colour to a colour chart its hard to get exact readings. The Seneye device uses optics to read those colours on their special PH slides giving a perfect reading.

When ever the device detects something had dropped below or gone above the base settings it sends you out a text message and email warning you but it does not just say "PH Low" it tells you suggestions to help you to fix the problem.

You can get an iPhone and Android application so you can keep track of your settings on the move

Another good use of the Seneye device is when you start up a new tank, put in your Seneye device and keep track of how your ammonia and PH levels are doing.

Above all one of my favourite features of the Seneye device is the Spectrum Analyser this allows me to keep track of the PAR,LUX and Kelvin ratings of my light. This option itself is worth the money you pay for the Seneye device. I see people posting videos on YoutTube and on blogs about how they are making their own PAR devices when end up costing them hundreds.

The Seneye Reef only costs £99.99 and I think its is very much worth the price. Normally I don't follow up on my reviews but this device I felt I needed too just so people knew how good it was.

You can see the results from my device live buy viewing this link:
Seneye click on plantedtankuk and you will see everything

I know one of UKAPS sponsors is now selling the device Home page

Here is the direct link to the seneye: http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/featured/seneye-reef.html

If you want to see my original video reviewing the product you can find it here:

and as a cheap little plug if anyone wants to check out my videos:

PlantedTankUK - Let's Share Our Passion - YouTube

If you made it this far thank you for reading, i just felt it was something i needed to say so thank you for your time

Carl

If you can afford the £99.99 I highly suggest you buy one of these

Was thinking about one of these, but not having Wifi and needing a cable to plug to the computer, or having to spend extra on a Wifi Router with USB capabilities is a pain! looks interesting though! :)

Agreed Paulo.
Only if this device could connect directly to the wifi router I'd snapped one up ages ago.

Shame as that's most likely the one feature everyone wants.

I've taken a read over this router and while I could buy it, I believe it doesnt transmit the information to the router > upload to Seneye.
I could be wrong, but looking over at their page, there is no "direct" of transmitting data to the seneye servers without it passing through the laptop where the program is installed.

A firmware update could change in the future so that data does not need to be passed through the installed program onto the seneye servers.

Using seneye - seneye

You still need to have a PC on all the time in order to do that, maybe it will store the information and when it sees the computer upload the stored data! possible, have not read the techie details!

Edit: Looks like it can store 30 days worth of data!

I have to unplug from my machine at night time and plug into the USB Iphone socket so it stays active. Then the next day plug it into my machine and upload the data, kind of defeats the object though as the warning system doesn't work unless its plugged into the machine.

ah, I honestly can't see the use in a seneye device at all? paying your hard earned cash every 3 months for 'refills' :dead:
Was not aware of these "refills", calibration fluid?

Was not aware of these "refills", calibration fluid?
He probably means that you have to pay for the replacement slides...
sure it's a bit of a downside but in my opinion it is well worth the money to have accurate readings without having to dig out a test kit which, after a couple of month, may not even be that accurate anyway...

Back