• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Self Cycling 500 ltr tank with 225 ltr sump Question

Gunner10

Good evening folks . Just waiting for my tank to self-Cycle and once complete . I just have a question about stocking levels . Would I be able to introduce 100 Cardinal Tetras at once when the tank has finished it's cycle ? Or would that be too much of a Bio -Load ? Thoughts please Thank You

Once cycling is complete as long as you don't overfeed them you should be fine esp if you have a good plant biomass. Although getting 25 first would be the safe bet. Any reason why you are going for Cardinal Tetras rather than Green Tetras.
If going for all 100 at once due to delivery costs, I would wait 6 weeks for cycle

If the tank is being cycled with a large number plants, and if you have a significant amount of fast growing stem plant and floating plants, then it should work. But without a large amount of plants it is risky even in such a large tank (725l total volume).

Once cycling is complete as long as you don't overfeed them you should be fine esp if you have a good plant biomass. Although getting 25 first would be the safe bet. Any reason why you are going for Cardinal Tetras rather than Green Tetras.
If going for all 100 at once due to delivery costs, I would wait 6 weeks for cycle
Thanks Zeus . I just think the cardinal is the most impressive of the tetras. Any reason for recommending Neons? I intend to wait a while yet, plants seem to be establishing themselves well . May do a 50 then another 50 4 weeks later !

If the tank is being cycled with a large number plants, and if you have a significant amount of fast growing stem plant and floating plants, then it should work. But without a large amount of plants it is risky even in such a large tank (725l total volume).
Thanks arcturus I have a significant amount of fast growing stem plants but have no intention of having any floating ! Think I may get them at 50 a time with a 4 week gap .

I wouldn't personally add that many (100) in one go even considering their small size

If you're going down the route of 50 initially this IMO is a much better idea. See how you go and then decide from there re when to add more

I generally QT any livestock before adding to my main tank even when buying from places that I trust 100% but appreciate not everyone can do this

Back