• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Selection of plants for a Discus Aquarium to avoid needing C

maj74

After some reading and thinking, I'm probably going to start off my 300l Discus tank with the following:

Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Staurogyne sp
Taxiphyllum barbieri

As far as I can tell, this should avoid the need for extra lighting (I currently have 2 x 54W T5 120cm flourescents) and also should avoid the need for CO2 injection.

opinion seems to be that CO2 injection and discus are not a good combination.
Presumably I could supplement the water with something like easycarbo as this does not affect the pH as CO2 injection does?

Any thoughts appreciated.

You could run a air stone during the night that will give the fish a break from the CO2 and should be fine with the Discus, for a 300 liter tank you looking at a lot of EasyCarbo, unless money is no objective!

Thanks for the reply.. hadn't got as far as working out easycarbo doses.

Great looking tank in your journal by the way. What's the 'moss' you've got growing on the central branch? is it java? And what is it's growing reqeirements?

I have just acquired a 4 and a half foot tangle of bogwood (single piece!) to create the backdrop of my tank!

Would post a picture of it here if I knew how!

maj74 said:
Thanks for the reply.. hadn't got as far as working out easycarbo doses.
Might be worth considering dry salts, just you will need to do 50% weekly water changes!

maj74 said:
Great looking tank in your journal by the way. What's the 'moss' you've got growing on the central branch? is it java? And what is it's growing reqeirements?
Of which journal? Shrimp tank or main tank?

maj74 said:
I have just acquired a 4 and a half foot tangle of bogwood (single piece!) to create the backdrop of my tank!
Would post a picture of it here if I knew how!
Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2618

Hadn't noticed there were 2 tanks there!doh!

I meant the moss that's growing in the middle of the shrimp tank!

maj74 said:
Hadn't noticed there were 2 tanks there!doh!
I meant the moss that's growing in the middle of the shrimp tank!
;) its Xmas moss, slow grower but one of the best looking ones.

I bread discus in a fully planted "high tech" planted tank with CO2 running at 3bps 24/7. Have you kept discus before? a lot of what you hear are myths and propaganda.
IMO you will need good lighting and CO2 to grow HC successfully and as is already mentioned, EasyCarbo would cost a fortune on 300L.
Since discus are messy and their food is also messy id try and leave the substrate clear of carpeting plants. The detritus may cause you issues.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers

Dan

I've currently got 7 wild heckels in my high tech tank, and although I turn the Co2 off at night with a solenoid, I don't run an air pump and I've never encountered any problems.

I've kept discus for several years, in planted tanks, but using plants that are very capable of growing without co2 and intense lighting.

As I now have the 'mother of all pieces' of bogwood for a backdrop, I wanted to try something a little different.

The general concensus of not mixing discus and co2 (at least not much co2) comes from the uk discus forum, so while I realise there are always examples where it works fine, I wouldn't put it down to simply myth and propoganda.

I shall probably look into a pressurised co2 system at some point that works in conjunction with when the lights are on at a relatively low level.

The Vesicularia dubyana `Christmas`is listed as very difficult and the Java moss seems likely to be simpler to grow.

maj74 said:
The general concensus of not mixing discus and co2 (at least not much co2) comes from the uk discus forum, so while I realise there are always examples where it works fine, I wouldn't put it down to simply myth and propoganda.
Ivan, a member on here and a prominent member on the UKDA uses pressurised CO2 from a fire extinguisher with wild discus, and Jazzy Jeff, another member here and UKDA also uses pressurised CO2. Finding a nice balance is the key IMO. There are more pros than cons when using CO2 in a discus tank IMO
Here is another successful discus tank viewtopic.php?f=35&t=571&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=discus&start=140

Back