• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seasonal impact on Plants

tiger15

Normally, season has no impact on plants in a heated aquarium as the temp is maintained more or less constant throughout the seasons. In my unheated window sill shrimp bowls, I see a drastic seasonal change in plants vitally. Despite having HVAC in the room, the temp in the bowls can fluctuate between mid 60F in winter nights to mid 80F in summer days due to cold draft and direct sunlight. As a result, I see that my (frogbit and water lettuce to decline and shrink in leaf size in winter months followed by vigorous growth and leaf enlargement in warm months. I also see some changes in my submerged Sag, hair grass and stems, but not as much as the floaters.

Dennis Wong has a new article on how temp affects plants that is in line with my experience.

I have similar observations. I do heat my tank but only have the heater set to a minimum of about 22c. In the warmer weather the tank naturally heats up and can get in the high 20's. As the tank gets natural light, I see much more growth in spring and summer. Perhaps it's not the best setup for most but I like the seasonality and the changing light throughout the year.

Back