• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scaredy Cat Fish

A

Antipofish

Hi,
I have a planted tank, and as is necessary, am often doing replanting or general maintenance, water changes, trimming etc. I have 7 dwarf neon rainbofish and 3 ottos in there at the moment and the rainbows are so skittish it is unbelievable. What can I do to change this ?

Hi
Don't feed them for a day...then every time you pass the aquarium add a smidgen of food this may help to get them out from hiding and familiar with your presence.
Before you do maintenance feed the fish and also do that after water changes and maintenance's....this should help ease their anxiety and fears.
Ive got some CPDs and they where very timid and shy, but after a few weeks doing the above they seem to have settled and are coming out into the open more....and not hiding away.
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Hi
Don't feed them for a day...then every time you pass the aquarium add a smidgen of food this may help to get them out from hiding and familiar with your presence.
Before you do maintenance feed the fish and also do that after water changes and maintenance's....this should help ease their anxiety and fears.
Ive got some CPDs and they where very timid and shy, but after a few weeks doing the above they seem to have settled and are coming out into the open more....and not hiding away.
hoggie

Cheers Hoggie, I will try that.

Funnily enough I had the same problem ages back with Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia Lacustris) AND CPD's in a later set-up. With the rainbows I tried the feeding thing and it worked a treat.

Didn't work when I tried it with CPD's about a year ago though, think my problem was having a really nice place for them to hide in the middle, in the form of a redmoor root scape with a 30cm wide java fern in the middle. lol

Back