• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scaping Adventures Outside the House

shangman

I thought I would make a journal for these fun projects I've started to do with @Courtneybst and other friends, outside the house. I'm hoping it will continue! It's really fun every time! Each tank doesn't need a whole journal, but I thought I could dedicate a post to each here for the setups, and hopefully add pictures later on when they're more mature. 🥰

I'm gonna start with the one me and Courtney made yesterday, at @George Farmer 's house. He very kindly invited us over to scape his Oase Scaperline 60cm tank, and gave us the challenge of putting it all together in 20 minutes at Aquarium Gardens! It was amazing to have the chance to pick whatever we wanted... and slightly terrifying with the time limit, I spent the first 5 mins going ARGHSDUHUISD. But luckily as a team we came up with something pretty cool :) PHEW

(Side note, I went to @Aquarium Gardens in Feb, and there are so many beautiful new tanks set up and grown in since then!! They're looking great and def worth another visit to check them out. And massive thanks to Dave for this project and letting us plunder everything!)

Limitations other than time were that it had to be 100% planted with a soil substrate, and use as little glue used as possible.

We started with the hardscape, with this lovely curved bit of manzanita wood, a few smaller bits added on and some twigs that fit in perfectly and extended the shape (I love twigs). For the planting, we wanted something simple, bright and serene to offset the dramatic dark wood, so went with grasses from tall to short mixed together, and for contrast some Ludiwigia super red in the middle inspired by a photo @taistrietman took in Brazil recently. We used a variety of grassy plants mixed together in drifts to give it a softer textured feel. Can't wait for that red to grow in :) Finally we added some HC to hide the wood attachments and give mossy vibes, and some Hygrophila Lancea to grow as an emergent.

The full plant list is:
Long grasses - Cyperus helferi, Eleocharis sp. montevidensis, Juncus Repens
Medium & short grasses - Sagittaria Subulata, Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, Eleocharis Mini
Grasses to add variety - Eriocaulon 'Vietnam', Cryptocoryne Albida Brown, Helanthium tenellum 'Red'
Stems - Ludwigia sp. mini super red, Hygrophila Lancea, Hemianthus Callitrichoides

We probably could've added a red lotus to the middle too, but oh well! That'll be for another tank :)

PXL_20220518_124707555.jpg

^ What we came up with at AG

IMG-20220518-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20220518-WA0010.jpg

Adding hardscape

IMG-20220518-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20220518-WA0012.jpg

Planting

IMG-20220518-WA00132.jpg
IMG-20220518-WA0021.jpg
Scaped! The rock will come off when the wood has sunk in a few weeks.

And a lovely video George made about the day:

Attachments

• IMG-20220518-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20220518-WA0013.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG-20220518-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20220518-WA0017.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 108
I thought I would make a journal for these fun projects I've started to do with @Courtneybst and other friends, outside the house. I'm hoping it will continue! It's really fun every time! Each tank doesn't need a whole journal, but I thought I could dedicate dissertation writing services illegal a post to each here for the setups, and hopefully add pictures later on when they're more mature. 🥰

I'm gonna start with the one me and Courtney made yesterday, at @George Farmer 's house. He very kindly invited us over to scape his Oase Scaperline 60cm tank, and gave us the challenge of putting it all together in 20 minutes at Aquarium Gardens! It was amazing to have the chance to pick whatever we wanted... and slightly terrifying with the time limit, I spent the first 5 mins going ARGHSDUHUISD. But luckily as a team we came up with something pretty cool :) PHEW

(Side note, I went to @Aquarium Gardens in Feb, and there are so many beautiful new tanks set up and grown in since then!! They're looking great and def worth another visit to check them out. And massive thanks to Dave for this project and letting us plunder everything!)

Limitations other than time were that it had to be 100% planted with a soil substrate, and use as little glue used as possible.

We started with the hardscape, with this lovely curved bit of manzanita wood, a few smaller bits added on and some twigs that fit in perfectly and extended the shape (I love twigs). For the planting, we wanted something simple, bright and serene to offset the dramatic dark wood, so went with grasses from tall to short mixed together, and for contrast some Ludiwigia super red in the middle inspired by a photo @taistrietman took in Brazil recently. We used a variety of grassy plants mixed together in drifts to give it a softer textured feel. Can't wait for that red to grow in :) Finally we added some HC to hide the wood attachments and give mossy vibes, and some Hygrophila Lancea to grow as an emergent.

The full plant list is:
Long grasses - Cyperus helferi, Eleocharis sp. montevidensis, Juncus Repens
Medium & short grasses - Sagittaria Subulata, Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, Eleocharis Mini
Grasses to add variety - Eriocaulon 'Vietnam', Cryptocoryne Albida Brown, Helanthium tenellum 'Red'
Stems - Ludwigia sp. mini super red, Hygrophila Lancea, Hemianthus Callitrichoides

We probably could've added a red lotus to the middle too, but oh well! That'll be for another tank :)

Scaped! The rock will come off when the wood has sunk in a few weeks.

And a lovely video George made about the day:

Looks absolutely amazing! What a fabulous challenge/ opportunity!

Back