• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scapetips needed

MarcoB

Gday folks,

I need some scapetips for this thank.
64pm60.jpg

measurements: 100x40x53cm
Not all the plants are doing well but I have to prune those plants every two weeks now. The otellia on the right is positioned there just for trial.
Anyway. You guys can scape as the best. How about this tank with aussie plants? What can I do better in the "rough" scape?

It looks great, what we would call a Dutch style scape(i believe). You have some great colours and textures together, im afraid i cant make suggestions to improve, im simply not that skilled.

Adam

Like Adam i can't claim to be anything other than a complete amateur, but i like bold hardscaping to make an impact in the tank and give it a bit more "form". Maybe if you're pursuing a patriotic Aussie theme go with redder coloured hardscape - I try and think of a general concept (eg moss forest) then do a google image search for pics - find it really useful as i'm not the most artistic of folks! Always worth having a look in the "inspiration" hread on here as well
Hope this little bit helps
Matt

Marco,
There's something uneven with the lighting. Seems to be all in the centre making it very gloomy at the sides. Was it you who mentioned on another thread that you wanted to change the bulb colour as well. That would be a good idea. It's too yellow. Almost looks like an incandescent bulb. Are you in Australia? Edit your profile to indicate that so we don't give you inappropriate advice for your location.

If it were me? I'd ditch that background because it makes everything look claustrophobic - but that might be due to the lighting. It would be much more interesting with a moss wall, for example.

You also have a very uneven distribution of heights and textures, which makes it more random than thematic. Have a read of George F's Aquascaping 3 part article sticky and think about how you can apply the principles. For example you can move some or all of the taller plants to one side and taper to lower heights towards the front or towards the opposite end. You could do with a bit of trimming on many of those stems to get a more manicured look.

Our brains actually respond to series of lines and geometric forms, so random shapes and heights "look" disruptive. Think first therefore in terms of an arrangement of shapes such as two triangles side by side, or a single square in the middle, or three progressively smaller triangles - whatever combination - then fit the plants into those shapes. Look at some of Georges or other peoples compositions and see if you can guess the themes of the broad shapes. Then see how you can implement with those plants that you have or those you can acquire.

Cheers,

I changed the scape drastically because the tender plants died again during the holiday.
This scape is less "dutch", less natural but more in balance with the tank. At least, i hope...........

What do you guys think?

mb0jsn.jpg

Back