• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saurek`s 125G Iwagumi

Saurek

Seedling
Greetings. As I promised in my introduction post here is journal.

A bit of back-story.

125-gallon rimless tank, made from opti-white low-iron glass(all but the back side) - in our region(Russia) we still do not have all ADA production - especially bulky things like tanks and stands. So I was forced to order aquarium from local aquarium-workshop. Gladly guys there know their work well. Dimensions are: 130X60X60cm - Im not very good with Imperial metric system - so will stick to metrical one in some cases.
ADA-style stand - also ordered from local factory. Well, not absolute similarity to ADA-ones, but somewhere close.
Lightsystem - its SunSun HLD-1250C - it have 2X150W MHQ bulbs and 2X54 t5 bulbs. Original(marine ones) bulbs were replaced by Sfiligoi 6500K daylight MHQ (now after 2 years of use they are dead - I`ve replaced them with BLV 8800K bulbs - Sfiligoi ones were too yellowish I must say, those new ones are pretty close to ADA ones I guess) and dennerle Amazon Day t5 bulbs - 6000K. Hope to get bright clear daylight in the result.
Filter system. Amano advices to have filter capable to circulate 5-10 volumes of tank per hour and with filter canister volume of 8-10% of actual tank volume - so I decided to stick with Eheim 2260 - looks like R2D2 from StarWars, quite bulky, but extremly strong, reliable and cheap for it capabilities. His pump have 2400l/hour power and canister volume is 18 liters. With the cost about 230 USD - its pretty nice.
CO2 - its balloon pressured system from Dennerle with 6-liter fire-extinguisher balloon(replacing small 0.5 Dennerle one). Reactor is Dennerle ceramic diffuser - very similar to ADA ones. Clear and beautiful.
Finally, substrate system. I was choosing between ADA and Dennerle. Two years ago I sticked to Dennerle - its considered to be more friendly to beginner. Today I would go for ADA, but since I already have a lot of gravel - I`m going to continue to use it. Well, it`s not bad at all. Early Oliver Knott`s works were based on that system (now he uses his own soil).
Dennerle using 1-3 mm quartz gravel instead of aqua-soil and deponit mix instead of PowerSand. Also Dennerle advices to put heating cable for right circulation in the aquarium bed.

Here is the link to old APC thread with former setup and scape: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... urnal.html

So, after few nights of removing gravel -(since it get mixed with deponit - it was nasty) everything were ready for the stonework. So far I have this result:

35c4u15.jpg

-Front view

saw67k.jpg

-45 angle view

Planting plan is pretty simple: HC carpet and perhaps eleocharis parvula at the back. Fish: company (if not entire battalion) of some tiny schooling guys plus cleaning crew of shrimps and ottos/SAE. Btw, any suggestions about main fish? Cardinal Tetra is a classic, but perhaps I should try something else?

Don`t be confused with white particles in the substrate - since I use old one - it get mixed with deponit. I gonna add more fresh quartz to cover it and to cover stones a bit more as well.

So - what do you think? Waiting for your critics and suggestions. Don`t be shy.

Absolutely love it, it's nice to see some variety , and not the typical big 'three stone' layout.
Great job, I love the tank too, can we get some pictures of the stand??
:)

It looks amazing, great looking tank, and those dimensions are really big, lots of depth to play with.

What plants you got in mind? Hairgrass? Blixa on the corner and hairgrass all over would look amazing!

Love it.

Stand pics

Here is the some pics of the stand:

259d6xu.jpg

kbxhxl.jpg

idaa6h.jpg

Don`t be confused with the absence of the filter - 2260 is chilling in the bathroom atm - getting cleaned for duty.

Well, idea was to make a ADA-style stand - I`ve ordered it in one little company - they make different furniture - not only aquarium stands. They messed a bit with the doors - gap is too big. And material is CPD - ADA uses harder wood. But it quite stable - so far 2 years of use. Also they make pipe arm for lighter.

ghostsword said:
It looks amazing, great looking tank, and those dimensions are really big, lots of depth to play with.

What plants you got in mind? Hairgrass? Blixa on the corner and hairgrass all over would look amazing!

Love it.

*smiles* Thank you.

So far planting plan is pretty simple: HC all around and eleocharis at the back. I`m bit scared to put a mix of HC, blyxa, riccia, hairgrass etc - cus it could get mixed too much one day. For example: http://www.pbase.com/plantella/image/35433519 - really looks good, but I think that ADA guys put hella lot of effort to keep it in control but it all ended with wild mix anyways.

Btw, some ppl say thay I should group stones closer. But I afraid that my stones aren`t big enough to create a strong impression that way - so I decided to stick to mountain chain/reef rock concept. Suggestions?

LondonDragon said:
Looks good, but most of the rock work is very low and after the plants grow in most of those rocks will disappear so careful with that, good luck ;)

Yeah, that could be a problem. I guess I should get them a bit up. But it`s okay if some of the lesser ones will be covered - it was the idea.

Thank you!

Here is slightly modified version with more grouped up rocks:

a3d26c.jpg

Like it more so far.

Version 2.0 (beta)

Here comes version 2.0 (beta - may add some small rocks and more gravel for sure):

29xwux1.jpg

Looks "simplier" and stronger I guess.

Re: Version 2.0 (beta)

Saurek said:
Here comes version 2.0 (beta - may add some small rocks and more gravel for sure):
Don't think you need more rocks now, all you need is more gravel on both sides to make the scape look deeper. congrats

Re: Version 2.0 (beta)

LondonDragon said:
Saurek said:
Don't think you need more rocks now, all you need is more gravel on both sides to make the scape look deeper. congrats

Thank you:) Well, I have tried different variants today - even to combine new left side with "old" right side - nothing that could satisfy me. So there is version 2.1 - I have replaced supporting rocks in left and right sides. Also, added some gravel. Should I add more btw?

2929xnc.jpg

- front view (almost my computer seat if I turn back 180 degrees)

w9dx5h.jpg

- angle view (from the armchair, next to my computer seat)

I guess I should left it for day or two - since my eyes "get blurred" with different setups so far. At the moment I can`t find the better variant. We will see.

Your hard work is going to pay off. This is a nice example of what planted tanks will teach you, patience:) Very well planned and I assume a marvelous execution.

Another day - another setup:)

Praise be to the Photoshop. I tried to combine two parts - "good" left and right from both of previous setups..and find it to my liking at last. Well, only thing I miss in new right side - is big badass stone, but - since it was half-burrowed - I was able to replace him by using two other stones. So here comes our "mutant" setup - which took good sides from both of his parents:

ta315d.jpg

I think that I was able to create a feeling of one big underground stone in the right side now.

I guess that I need to add more substrate again :)

Really Like this scape. The placement Gives great depth, And I agree that plant's will need heavy pruning to keep the feel you are going for with this.

Finale

So here comes the final version. Played with left side a bit - most important - moved small stone to the left, feels more natural now. Added another 10 kg of gravel.

I`m about to plant that baby:

6h7pys.jpg

1zev4ft.jpg

Photos of the planting process incoming.

Back