• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Satisfying and Effective - share some random tips

I've got this blanket weedy like algae stuff that I introduced intentionally in a previous tank and therefore unintentionally to my current one. I'd been removing it from my weeping moss by lightly raking it with the tweezer tips. Tedious. I just tried a toothbrush and it was so marvelously effective and satisfying that I was moved to post about it.
Share some random maintenance tips!

Never (ever) replace aquarium water with Gin in the search for crystal-clear water. They became very unruly - and somewhat abusive.

flatten;crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg.webp

I've got this blanket weedy like algae stuff that I introduced intentionally in a previous tank and therefore unintentionally to my current one. I'd been removing it from my weeping moss by lightly raking it with the tweezer tips. Tedious. I just tried a toothbrush and it was so marvelously effective and satisfying that I was moved to post about it.
Share some random maintenance tips!

Use a dining fork 🍴to remove rock wool from potted emersed plants! 😉

Also, not sure if people knew this but I see many people trying to tease rockwool from plant roots with tweezers, forks etc. But a toothbrush will give a perfect result, effortlessly.

Also, not sure if people knew this but I see many people trying to tease rockwool from plant roots with tweezers, forks etc. But a toothbrush will give a perfect result, effortlessly.
That sounds like sage advice! I am going to try this this week.

If you are looking for an alternative for EpiWeb, Terratape or Hygrolon you can use sports tape.
Comes in all sorts of colours, various widths, is stretchable, self adhesive, and absorbs well. It's an ideal medium to grow mosses and epifytes on in a 'drystart'.

Attachments

• tape.png
    tape.png
    572.5 KB · Views: 21
I usually pull the big chunks off with my fingers and swosh it about in some water in a jug/bowl 🙂

It is not a great hack, but I'll be adding this one here today: Clean your inlet/outlet tubing more often than you think!

I have not cleaned my bio media sponge in my Oase for over a year. I checked it today, and it looked fine and dandy. However, I decided to clean my hoses (which were cleaned relatively recently), and it was gunk city! And I mean dark gunk!

I thoroughly cleaned 1 meter of hosing, and the water looks remarkably better! Even without changing the pre-filter!

Use ceramic plant weights to weigh down vegi foods (courgette, cucumber, cabbage, pepper etc) for catfish, shrimp, snails etc. Just poke it through the hole in the middle. Much better than a fork or corkscrew!

To reduce light on non-adjustable LED's, use 14mm file binder combs. They simply clip onto the light and can be cut to size with scissors. Much better than tape!

Use Hello Fresh insulation packaging for fine filter floss. Made from recycled PET (used to be wool) and is the perfect thickness... and it's free!

Attachments

• Ceramic plant weight.jpg
    Ceramic plant weight.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • Binder Comb.jpg
    Binder Comb.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • Hello Fresh.jpg
    Hello Fresh.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Get yourself one of the cocktail trolleys from BnM, its a game changer. Load all the shelves with the bits and pieces you use most often for scaping and feeding maintenance etc.
I keep foods on the 1st Shelf, maintenance bits in 2nd etc etc. I can wheel it about the kitchen as needed and makes scaping so much easier with easy access to the bits i need.

Back