• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sand vs gravel

Sarpijk

Hi everyone, just wanted to discuss whether sand is better for capping a soil substrate. Having used both I must say that for some reason sand seems to yield better results for me.

For example I got a Tropica pot of Lagenadra and put some plants in the gravel substrate and some to the sand one. Both tanks have the same type of soil underneath and are both low tech. While the plant in the gravel substrate has all but melted, in the sand substrate is growing huge. Cryptocoryne Nurii also seems to prefer sand.

Is it possible the sand locks in the nutrients better ?

To illustrate the difference in growth I give you Lagenadra in sand
UFkDJHp.jpg

ikanlut.jpg

and the sad specimen in the gravel tank
31OrDrO.jpg

Of course I realise many other factors could be at play but the overall idea is that all plants that I have used in sand do better in most cases.

Hi everyone, just wanted to discuss whether sand is better for capping a soil substrate. Having used both I must say that for some reason sand seems to yield better results for me.

For example I got a Tropica pot of Lagenadra and put some plants in the gravel substrate and some to the sand one. Both tanks have the same type of soil underneath and are both low tech. While the plant in the gravel substrate has all but melted, in the sand substrate is growing huge. Cryptocoryne Nurii also seems to prefer sand.

Is it possible the sand locks in the nutrients better ?
Very interesting. What kind of sand do you use?

Back